Friday, March 23, 2018

Friday Thoughts


Hooray… we made it to Friday!

It was a long week because A had conferences.  He was stuck at school late and I had solo bed time duty.  No big deal, but it makes for a long day.  Nani was so kind and had the boys and me over for dinner on Wednesday.  Dinner was delicious and S fell asleep on the way home so it made for a much easier night.  Thank you, Nani!

One of my biggest pet peeves is when I tell someone I will follow up when I have additional information and a few days later that person asks for an update.  IF I HAVE NOT YET PROVIDED YOU WITH ANY NEW INFORMATION, THAT MEANS I DON'T HAVE AN UPDATE.  Uggh.

For our anniversary, I gifted A with a subscription to a craft beer club.  Basically, he receives 4 different types of beer to try every other month.  He likes beer and I thought it would be fun to try something new.  What I failed to remember is that A does NOT try new/different things.  He is a creature of habit.  He brings the same lunch to school every single day.  Epic fail on my part.  So we have lots of unopened beer.  A and I decided we’d have our own little beer tasting tonight to find out if we like any of the new types.  I’m not much of a beer drinker, but I do love trying new things so I’m really looking forward to it.

Speaking of A, he has been a reading machine lately.  I think he’s finished nine novels in just a few months.  We decided to start our own little book club of sorts.  I’m going to read something he’s read and he’ll read the book on raising healthy boys that I’ve been trying to finish (I’ve learned I’m not so great at finishing non-fiction books) and we’ll discuss.

Earlier in the week, after one of S’s puke episodes, I jokingly asked on FB who would be watching my kids this weekend.  My brother’s fiancé responded right away.  I’m not really sure if she’s actually his fiancé because I’m convinced they’ll never actually get married, but let me tell you about her.  First, I need to explain that my brother is a total slacker.  I love him, but gosh, he is unmotivated and a free spirit.  The opposite of me in every. single. way.  He is unemployed and basically a mooch at the moment.  But then there’s his fiancé who is incredibly sweet, works at least two jobs, and is either pursuing her Master’s or a second degree (I can’t recall).  She loves my boys.  I remember one particular evening when we were at our usual Wednesday dinner spot.  My brother and his fiancé decided to join us.  While we were walking up the stairs, S tripped and bumped his chin on one of the stairs.  It looked like a scary incident and my new mom self would have panicked and run over to scoop him up and love on him while assessing his injuries.  But my seasoned mom self knew that his fall hurt, but also that this wasn’t a crisis situation and he’d be just fine.  I watched, though, as my brother’s fiancé, who happened to be closest to S ran over, scooped him up in her arms, and rocked him while saying, “Oh no, oh no...”  She reacted on instinct and her genuine concern for S was very obvious.  A later asked if I minded that she had intervened and was the one comforting S.  My response, “No, not at all.  I actually loved it.  Her concern for S was so aparent to me in that moment and he was comfortable in her arms.”  SO long story short, my bro needs to get his sh** together because I think this girl is way too good for him.  And I am so looking forward to a little lunch outing with A this weekend – it’s been a long time since we've been out sans children!

No comments:

Post a Comment