Thursday, April 19, 2018

Still Here

It may have seemed like I disappeared, but I'm still around.  We've been SO incredibly busy and my blog suffered as a result.  Let me back up a bit...

Last week it snowed - more than once if I remember correctly.  So depressing.  I don't remember ever getting snow this late in April.  So we had snow Monday, we were wearing shorts on Thursday, and it snowed again Friday (or something like that).  It was making me insane.

How I Feel

Saturday, we awoke to sleet/ice/snow pelting the window.  I had planned to run out and try to score some of the Hunter boots that were part of a collaboration with Target.  I tried to get them online, but of course, they were already gone by 6 am.  W really needed new boots (his old ones had a massive hole, which totally defeats the purpose of rain boots) and had his heart set on red.  Naturally, when I checked online, the closest Target had no red boots - only yellow and striped.  I mentioned to A that I was going to try and convince W to go for one of those options so I didn't have to drive 35 minutes to the Target that had the red boots.  My sweet husband offered to drive to the further Target in the April rain/snow.  And he found boots that were close enough to the boys' sizes.  He even stopped at Starbucks on his way home.  Best husband ever.



Given the weather, I had no intention of setting foot outside, but A said we were either going sofa shopping or cleaning the house.  Obviously, I chose shopping.  We had been planning on purchasing a new sofa for a really long time and then put it on hold when we had a ton of medical expenses for Addie.  Our current furniture is over 11 years old and it's held up really well for the most part.  But it's definitely starting to show its age with two kiddos and a dog.  I had no plans of actually buying a sofa on this day, but wanted to look at different styles and get an idea of cost - costs ranged quite a bit depending on style and fabric so I really had no idea what to expect.  Immediately as we walked in, I saw a sofa that had the perfect fabric.  I wanted a gray sofa and this one was sort of a gray tweed with a hint of gold.  I'm not describing it well, but I thought it would be perfect with our wall color.  We walked around for quite a while and I found a sofa style I really liked that happened to come in the same fabric and I found the price to be really reasonable.  A and I debated and discussed and decided to buy it.  BUT then we needed a new chair.  Our current chair is old and the fabric wouldn't match our new sofa.  I found a fabric I loved and we chose a "chair and a half" style.  Then, when we were ordering, we discovered that the chair actually did not come in the fabric I wanted.  So we had to start over and choose a new fabric, which I'm a little nervous about - I absolutely loved the first fabric choice.  We were at the store forever and the boys had so much fun.  They loved walking around and checking out the furniture and especially loved the bunk beds.  So we're excited about our new furniture, which is set to arrive at the end of May.  And admittedly, I'm nervous about a big purchase that I really hadn't planned on making that day.  I always get nervous about big expenses.

After that, we grabbed some lunch and headed home.

Sunday, we awoke to snow on the ground.  S ended up going to the kids program during mass at church.  We ask the boys every week if they'd like to go and they never want to so this was a big milestone for S.  He was so cute walking back into church with all the kids. :)

After Starbucks and grocery shopping, we headed home where A started a fire in the fireplace.  Because snow.  In April.  We finished the day with the boys helping me make our famous mac and cheese.




Monday, I had an all day work summit.  We did volunteer work in Chicago, visited Cloud Gate (aka the Bean), and had a department dinner on Michigan Ave.  My Irish colleagues were in town and I had so much fun spending time with them.  I also loved volunteering at our adopted school - gathering school supplies and listening to presentations from the students.  It was a really long day -  I left the house at 7:15am and didn't arrive home until 9:15pm, but definitely a fun day.





Tuesday, another work summit, but this time, meetings were at the office.  The conferences I attended were really interesting and it was a great learning opportunity, but oh my gosh, I was exhausted by the afternoon.

Wednesday, some of the students I had been mentoring presented their projects and I had to serve as a judge.  I'm really proud of their ideas and their creativity.  They all did an excellent job.  I think I missed my calling as a high school science teacher. :)  Or maybe not... mentoring has been very rewarding without having any nightly "homework" to grade.  Speaking of school, A had "open house" so he was at school late.  I feel like I've hardly seen my dear husband lately.

And then today, I took the day off in order to chaperone W's field trip to the fire station.  We had lots of fun visiting the station together and I'm so thankful I was able to spend some one on one time with my little guy after a very hectic week.



And we finally have sunshine and 40 degree temperatures so maybe spring will eventually arrive!

No comments:

Post a Comment