Monday, November 19, 2018

Weekend Recap



We were so busy this weekend, but had lots of fun.  I woke up feeling so much better than I have.  You see, last week, my anxiety had returned with a vengeance.  A coworker and friend was let go.  I was shocked as were my fellow coworkers.  We were told her position was eliminated, it wasn’t personal.  She was part of the “old group”.  She had worked long hours, stayed until nighttime on several occasions to get work done.  She was very popular at the company.  It WAS personal.  And I felt awful for her.  It wasn’t fair.  The timing couldn’t have been worse.  Her sister had just had a double mastectomy and she had already lost a sister to cancer.  Not to mention, we’re heading into the holidays.  I was just crushed that a company – my company – would treat someone that way.  It was wrong on so many levels.  So my anxiety was in full force - wondering if I’d be saying goodbye to other friends and helping them pack their desks.  Would I be packing my desk?  Should I be applying for jobs?  I had deadlines at work.  And just preparing for the holidays, knowing I have so much to do and never enough time makes me feel panicked.  When I’m stressed, walking helps, but I also tend to feel exhausted and the last thing I want to do when I’m exhausted is walk – sort of a no win.  After the boys go to bed, all I want to do is sit on the couch and watch reruns of The Big Bang Theory and not have to think about anything.  I find myself going to bed early and still waking up exhausted.  I really needed a good weekend and I got it.  And then, as I was rushing to get the boys ready for school this morning, I slipped and fell down the stairs.  Holy moly, did that hurt.  I couldn’t help thinking that this was such a metaphor for my life lately – just when I think life is getting better, my hope comes crashing down… LITERALLY this time.  So I’m changing my mindset today.  I am ok.  I’m focusing on that.  I know friends who have suffered broken bones, who have significantly injured themselves in falls.  I may me bruised and sore, but I’m not completely broken.  I consider that a win.  But ouch.

Anyway.

Our weekend kicked off on Friday.  S brought home his class pet, Eli, the elephant.  That pair might just be the cutest thing I’ve ever seen.  S took caring for Eli incredibly seriously and everywhere that S went, Eli followed.  Eli even came with to W’s dentist appointment.  I love his dentist.  Too bad they don’t take adult patients.  The ladies there fawn over W, complimenting his behavior, his outfit, his shoes.  He got extra stickers and extra prizes.  And no cavities!!  Woohoo!  If I ever need an ego boost, I’m going there.  W also got his very first report card on Friday.  He’s doing great and A and I are so proud of him.  The only thing he needs to work on is writing, which we already knew.  We finished the day with sandwiches at Grandma’s house (Eli joined us).




Saturday, haircuts for the boys, a Target run where 4 items quickly turned into a cart full of items… oh Target!  And a lunch outing to our favorite charcoal chicken restaurant where I ordered a very healthy lunch consisting of squash soup and mac and cheese.  Hello, carbs!  We sat in front of the big front window and watched people walk by and snow flurries flutter through the air – it was really great.




That night, A and I worked at an auction to benefit W’s school.  Admittedly, it wasn’t quite as fun as I hoped.  Only one other set of kindergarten parents attended.  The groups of parents were very cliquey and we felt like outsiders.  We were working so I suppose we weren’t there to mingle anyway, but it was a bit disappointing.  The lady in charge of the auction was crazy.  Like she was way too excited and we couldn’t get a word in.  She’d ask a question and not let us answer before moving on to the next thing.  If only I could properly explain because she was something.  Think someone on Red Bull who then drank 3 espressos.  Whoa.  Also, I shouldn’t even mention this because I’m still mortified, but I mistook the principal’s husband for the priest!!  Only I could be that awkward.  Face palm.  Needless to say, A and I will need to find a new volunteer activity next year.  Here’s hoping that he’s old enough not to remember me.  Double face palm.

Sunday was our usual and then I took my niece out for a manicure and lunch.  I was really sick and didn’t make it to her birthday dinner so I thought this would be a fun little treat for both of us.  I had such a great time and I think she did too.  I love how my nails turned out.  She suggested the gold glitter and I’m obsessed.  We both agreed that we need a girls day more often.  It’s been really cold here  - in the 30s, but A, being the super dad that he is, took the boys to the park.  They’ve definitely had “cabin fever” lately, but I’m a wuss and don’t enjoy being out in the cold.  They had a blast at the biggest park in town.  We ended the day watching the Bears win while enjoying a fire in the fireplace.




No comments:

Post a Comment