Monday, November 26, 2018

Thanksgiving Week Recap


I should’ve completed a blog post last week because we did so much in a short period of time!

I ended up taking a half day on Monday and then took Tuesday and Wednesday off.  I really needed a break and I’m so thankful for extended time off with family.

Monday, A and I attended a conference with W’s teacher.  If you’ve read this blog, you know that conferences give me anxiety.  Ha.  But I really like W’s teacher and the conference went great.  W is doing wonderfully.  I expressed concern that W’s shyness may be hindering him socially.  His teacher told me that he was beginning to talk more and she thought that would continue to improve.  She joked that he'd never have to move his name down on the behavior chart.  We’ll continue to work on W's writing.  His teacher gave us some paper and a grip for W's pencil and as soon as W saw it, he began practicing.  Very proud of him.



Tuesday, A had to work and then had his own parent teacher conferences until late.  I knew the boys and I had to get out of the house.  We met my mom for juice and coffee at Starbucks and then headed to a local wildlife center.  We enjoyed seeing lots of reptiles there along with an owl and a bobcat.  From there, we headed out for a late lunch at one of our favorite pizza restaurants.  We ended the night with microwave popcorn and Frozen – which neither of the boys really liked.




Remember when I fell down the stairs?  Well, this is what my leg looked like by Wednesday.  Don't fall down the stairs.


Wednesday, our 4th annual Kindness Day!  This year, we donated clothing to a family who were victims of a fire.  We went through the Starbucks drive thru and bought coffee for the car behind us and left a tip for the baristas.  We handed out gift cards at Target.  We left goodies out for our delivery people.  We left a sweet note and an extra tip for our waitress.  We sent a card to a family member.  And finally, we left treats and gift cards for our mail lady and sanitation workers.





Thursday, Thanksgiving at Nani and Papa’s house!  The boys helped me make mac and cheese and onion dip.  Forget the turkey, I love the apps and the sides.  So yummy.  The boys had so much fun running around with their cousins and holy moly were all those kids loud.  But honestly, it warmed my heart.  They love their cousins.  We finished off the night with bingo and popcorn.

Friday, shopping!!  I do most of my shopping online, but my mom doesn’t even own a computer.  It’s been our tradition to head to the mall and then meet up with the boys for lunch.  I need to back up here and mention that while we were handing out gift cards at Target on Wednesday, S spotted a giant stuffed tiger and fell in love with it.  He kept asking for it and I repeatedly told him no.  He was so upset he couldn’t bring home that tiger.  I just assumed he was hangry and once we got out of the store and had lunch, the tiger would be forgotten.  The next day, we asked the boys what they planned on asking Santa for for Christmas.  W’s response: miniature Violia, Waste Management, BFI, Groot, etc. garbage cans.  Awesome.  Those don’t even exist.  S’s response: the tiger I saw at the grocery store.  Great.  I’m pretty sure I told A there was no way I was getting a tiger because he would immediately lose interest.  And where does one put a giant tiger??  So when my mom arrived bright and early on Friday morning, I told her to ask S what he wanted for Christmas.  “A tiger!”  So I got the darn tiger.  Face palm.  Anyway, shopping was fun.  I was surprised that stores were actually crowded.  Friday night, we went back to Nani and Papa’s for pizza and the town tree lighting.  The boys had fun with their cousins once again and we watched Santa arrive on a fire truck!  I just love all the holiday activities!!






Saturday, we began decorating for Christmas.  My mom came over to help.  Does anyone else feel like decorating for Christmas is a major undertaking??  Gosh, so much stuff.  But the house looks so festive.  At one point, S asked how Santa would fit a tiger in his stocking.  Lol – he’s obsessed.  And I started crying as I unpacked Addie’s stocking.  I miss her so much.  The cats are fun, but they certainly aren’t Addie.  The house looks great, but as always, I felt like I’d get one area of the house clean and decorated and the boys were making a mess in another.  I will say, they did an excellent job cleaning up once they committed to it!  That night, the boys were crazy.  Running around the house, trying to play tag, knocking things over.  I had had enough and told them to get on their coats, they were going outside.  Never mind that it was 6pm and pitch black out.  The weather was actually mild.  We ended up having so much fun.  A invented 'find the pumpkin'.  W still had a mini pumpkin that he brought home from his field trip.  We’d take turns hiding it in the dark back yard and then the others would run to find it.  We took a walk around the block and looked at Christmas lights.  This turned out to be one of my favorite activities during my time off.

Sunday, we had a blizzard warning!!  The snow was expected to start some time around noon.  We had planned on getting our Christmas tree next weekend, but we also have W’s birthday party on Saturday.  So we decided to head out and choose a tree before the snow storm.  We eventually found a tree, and about 3 hours later, it was decorated.  Then, I noticed that it appeared to be leaning and a couple minutes later, it fell over!!  We switched out the tree stand and so far so good, but I don’t trust the cats not to knock it over again.  Time will tell!  The house looks beautiful.  Sunday night, we learned that all the guys have a snow day today and even my office is closed.  Nice to have a “bonus” day of vacation (though I'm still working from home)!!







No comments:

Post a Comment