Friday, March 20, 2020

Life During the COVID-19 Pandemic

Is anyone still blogging these days?  It seems pretty quiet out there.  If you're still reading, I'd love your input.

This quarantine has been really tough.  I've been trying to focus on some of the positives, but it's hard not to think about the negative impacts.  I'll admit there are a few negative impacts that most would find trivial, but they're getting to me.

I'll share my thoughts, but I'd love to hear from you too.  No judgement.

Let's get the trivial negative impacts out of the way:

  • Hair.  Ok, I realize this is minor and maybe it makes me shallow or vain.  So be it.  I was supposed to get my hair cut and highlighted this weekend and the appointment was cancelled.  The thought of going two-ish months without a hair cut and highlights is more daunting than it should be.  This is causing me way more anxiety than it should.
  • A and I often don't get home from work until 5 at the earliest.  The boys are hangry and as a result we often eat out or pick up food 3-4 times per week.  It's a lot, but it just works with our busy schedules.  We also have picky kids so it allows some variety in our meal selections.  We're not used to meal planning.  Trying to get all of the groceries ahead of time and plan meals that all of us will eat well in advance has been challenging.
  • Related, we're going through food fast!!  Again, we're not used to everyone home and not used to stocking up in advance.  At least we have toilet paper.

Not so trivial:

  • Lack of interaction with parents.  My mom and I are very close (especially since my brother and dad passed away).  We're used to seeing each other at least 4 times per week.  My mom nearly cried on the phone when we discussed staying away.  The boys are also very close to all of their grandparents.  They were asking when Nani would be coming over and I had to tell them I really wasn't sure.  This one is breaking my heart.
Positives:

  • All things considered, the boys have been getting along really, really well.  They have moments in which they argue and yell, but they also have plenty of moments in which they work together on puzzles, play games, read together, look at flash cards together, ride scooters, build Lego houses, etc.
  • Home schooling is going pretty well.  We don't have a great routine, but we are working through homework packets and incorporating other fun activities like science experiments, neighborhood scavenger hunts, and book madness (each family member chooses 2 books, we read and vote for our favorites).  I even discovered S can write several numbers and letters... I seriously had no idea!
  • Working from home.  Ok, so this has been challenging with multiple interruptions, distractions, and lack of computer monitors.  BUT.  I don't take for granted the ability to work from home.  It's been such a blessing during this trying time.
  • Related, having a webcam has allowed me to have face to face meetings with colleagues.  I even had coffee with a colleague via virtual meeting.
  • Family time.  I appreciate that we've gotten to spend so much time together.  Happy we have each other and like each other most of the time. :)
  • Sleeping in and watching tv shows.  Not having a commute means I've been sleeping in until 6am, which is amazing.  It also means that A and I have been able to watch tv after the boys go to bed, which we hardly ever do.  We've caught up on This is Us and started watching Schitt's Creek, which is both terrible and hilarious.
I'm sure there are more, but that's what I've got so far.  

No comments:

Post a Comment