Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Parent Teacher Conferences Part 2

After I posted about W's conference, I basically reprimanded myself for taking preschool conferences a little too seriously and focusing on the one negative that was brought up while I talked to W's teacher.  Does W need to work on writing and holding a pencil correctly?  Absolutely.  Does that mean he's way behind in school and I'm a failure?  No.

Part of my frustration centered around W being assessed on something he wasn't necessarily taught.  Both boys attend a play based preschool.  There is a curriculum and there are lessons, but the primary focus is on learning through play.  I could go on and on about why we chose this particular preschool, but that isn't the point of this post.  So while W may have picked up a pencil or a crayon in the art area, I don't know that direction was given on the proper way to hold those writing utensils.  And I'm fairly certain there was no direction given on drawing shapes or writing letters.

I also want to give Nani and my mom a ton of credit.  The preschool the boys attend is only half a day.  The other half of the day is spent with the boys' grandmas.  They play outside, they bake, they paint, they read, and the boys get a ton of individual attention.  So what they haven't learned in preschool, they've learned with Nani and Grandma.  It takes a village and Nani and Grandma deserve recognition for any successes the boys achieve.

My mom taught first grade for 38 years so I knew she'd be a great resource for me in regards to W's writing abilities.  W's teacher repeatedly mentioned his fine motor skills, but my mom and I don't think that's the problem.  W loves creating neighborhoods and playing 'garbage day'.  He places little 'garbage' pieces in bins.  He can button shirts.  He can use scissors without issue.  I think the real problem is holding writing utensils correctly and being able to manipulate them.  Once he can do that, he'll be able to write easily.  We've begun working on writing and we'll continue to do so.

Now, for the main point of this post... I'm rambling today.  I attended S's conference this morning.  I had to give myself a little pep talk before walking into the building.  "He's only 2.  Take any advice as a challenge and not a criticism.  Focus on the positives.  You already know S is doing great and thriving so don't take any concerns personally."

S also had an assessment based on his age.  I didn't think assessments were a thing at 2 years old, but apparently they are.  Well, I'm happy and incredibly proud to report that S did so well on his assessment, he won't be assessed for another year.  I think he was supposed to have a score of 62 and received an 89.  Phew!!  S has the same teacher W had for 2 years and she told me that A and I are great parents and it's reflected in our children.  I almost cried.  I'm so relieved and happy to be done with conferences for this half of the school year.

Also, I don't want it to sound like S is doing amazing and W is not.  Aside from the writing, W nailed everything else on his assessment.  I think once he starts learning more math, W's going to be inspired and more motivated and I look forward to him developing a love for learning.  I think he's ready for all the instruction and lessons that kindergarten will bring.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I’ve been following your weblog for a long time and from here
    I Get the inspiration to go ahead. Just wanted to mention keep up the great job!
    --
    Thanks
    Aaru Garg
    My Blog: https://realbahubali.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete