Monday, December 17, 2018

Weekend Recap


Before I talk about this weekend, I need to back up and mention W’s first school Christmas program.  I knew he’d been practicing songs for weeks and I was so excited for the program.  I also knew he’d be dressed as an angel.  Is there anything sweeter than kindergartners dressed as angels?  Gah.  I have not been to many kids Christmas programs (ok, none… I’ve been to none aside from the ones I was in as a kid, and I distinctly remember suggesting changes to the program, which I’m sure my teacher was thrilled about, but I digress.)  W’s Christmas program was fantastic!!  I’d never heard most of the songs, the backdrop was beautiful, the kids were adorable.  I just loved it so so much.  I’m regretting not ordering the video.






I took Friday off and spent much of the day wrapping presents at my mom’s house.  Susana stopped over with her kitten, we ordered pizza, it was a great day.

Saturday, we attended a service for my great uncle who’d recently passed away.  This is the fifth family member I’ve lost this year.  I’m including my dog in that, but FIVE.  I’m mentally done with 2018.  On the bright side, we went out for a late lunch with my mom and I ordered a margarita so there’s that.  Saturday night, A and I decided we’d drive around with the boys and look at Christmas lights like we used to do as kids.  We made popcorn (which is now scattered throughout my car), had hot cocoa, and listened to Christmas music.  We even found “Christmas Lane”, a street in which every single house is decorated with Christmas lights.  I really enjoyed it and we discussed going out again to look at even more lights.

In an attempt to keep it real, I’m just going to say that Sunday sucked.  There are some days in which parenting is just plain hard and defeating and this was one of them.  It started right as we were leaving for church when I realized that one of the boys had (ink) stamped W’s Kindergarten class picture.  It broke my heart.  I get very attached to photos and I had planned on saving this one forever.  His first class picture.  It didn’t help that when I asked, no one had any recollection of stamping said photo.  Our return address stamp must have just magically appeared on the picture.  I tried to wipe the ink off to no avail and then A tried a magic eraser, which took off all the color from the photo and made it way worse (I know A was trying to help).  I realize that this may seem relatively minor, but I still have my grade school class photos in a book my mom put together for me.  It had sentimental value that can’t be replaced.  So I was on the verge of tears at 8:30am.

The rest of the day continued in the same frustrating, exhausting manor with hitting, pushing, messes, multiple timeouts, food thrown on the floor, talking back, arguments, spilled lemonade, and so on.  There were a couple bright spots – everyone ate AND liked the lemon and crème chicken and linguine I made for dinner.  A rarity.  W cleaned his room (though he also rearranged his furniture), but I appreciate the initiative.  We ended up sending the boys to bed at 6:45 because we didn’t know what else to do.  I know, I know… the days are long, the years are short.  But those long days… whew… they aren’t for the weary.

No comments:

Post a Comment