Thursday, December 6, 2018

Sign Me Up, Scotty!



There are many things I have no trouble declining…

Do you want to attend a conference on packaging? No thank you.
Can you attend the after work team building event?  No.
Do you want to travel to Indiana and observe production?  Hard no.  (Sorry, Indiana.)

But when it comes to volunteer opportunities, I can’t help myself and I say yes to EVERYTHING.  To the point where I am certain I am losing my mind (as if there was something left to lose) and I’m even more overwhelmed than usual.

Can you create and send out invites for the preschool holiday party?  Sure.
Can you drop off the gifts for our adopted family? Sure.
Can you spend five hours shopping for gifts for homeless families at our adopted school?  Sure.
If we don’t have a volunteer for the Kindergarten Christmas party, we’ll have to cancel.  Can someone help?  I took off that day so SURE (never mind that I took off that day to catch up on ALL THE THINGS).

Volunteering is so rewarding for me.  But when it comes to these opportunities, there is a fine line between rewarding and exhausting.

Someone send me a drink… and more hours in the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment