Monday, September 16, 2019

Weekend Recap


This weekend had its share of ups and downs, but Friday was definitely on the up end of the spectrum.  I hurried home from work because the boys were supposed to start tennis lessons.  W has taken a few different tennis lessons and they’ve all been completely different.  This one was advertised through the park district for ages 4-6 and it was indoors.  That meant I could also sign S up and the boys would be in the same class.  Traffic was bad and we’ve had lots of rain, which has led to some streets being closed.  We arrived a few minutes late and W did not want to participate.  He really doesn’t like attention and hates being late (just like his mommy).  But with S playing too, we convinced him to participate.  It turns out that there were a couple 7 year olds in the class too and S was definitely the youngest and least experienced.  He couldn’t get the hang of hitting the ball, but I was so proud of him for sticking with it and trying.  On the other hand, S was really great at serving the ball - who'd have thunk this little 4 year old could rock a serve?!? W did really great and had some awesome hits – he ended up winning some game and told me he was surprised he'd won.  I told him I wasn't surprised at all and knew he could do it. :)  I think tennis may be his sport.  At one point, I looked over and W had his arm around S.  Melt my heart!!

After tennis, we headed out of the gym and the annual Touch-a-Truck event was being held in the parking lot.  The boys were disappointed there was no garbage truck, but they did enjoy climbing aboard a school bus, huge Fed Ex truck, and a snow plow.  I love that they can sit in the trucks and pretend to drive, but OMG my ears… I cannot take the constant honking.  By 7, we figured we’d better head out and find dinner.  We ended up at MOD and finally headed home.






Saturday morning, A headed out to get a haircut.  S wanted to go with him – I love that S is always up for errands and he’s great company.  While A was out, I planned on getting ready for the day and thought W would enjoy being home without S.  He’d have all his toys to himself and wouldn’t have any interruptions.  Nope.  He drove me bonkers.  I couldn’t get ready because W let the cats out of the basement and the dog wouldn’t leave the cats alone.  I was constantly having to separate kid and pets.  W, Charlie, and I ended up going for a walk and that was great at least.  It was such a beautiful morning and I told myself I’d just get ready when A arrived home.  



A arrived with coffee and bagels and we were preparing to go to the apple orchard, but W was just being whiny and stubborn and didn’t want to go.  So much to my disappointment, I gave in.  I wasn’t in the mood for a long car ride with a complaining W.  I look forward to fall activities all year.  Orchards, corn mazes, farms are my jam so I was really sad.  I should’ve spent the afternoon doing something productive – cleaning and organizing, but I kept hoping W would change his mind.  No such luck. 

Later, I was perusing Facebook and W’s school had shared a flier for the town pig roast.  There would be a band and hay rides.  It wasn’t the orchard, but it was something.  And it was only 5 minutes from our house.  I insisted we go and if it wasn’t fun, we’d just return home.  It was a blast!  We listened to music, bought hotdogs, hamburgers, and popcorn, and went on a hay ride.  The boys were finally in a decent mood.  My only complaint is the bugs were bad!  We had spray on, but I ended up with 3 mosquito bites on my face.  Thankful our frustrating day ended on a high note.





Saturday night (early Sunday morning), for some unknown reason, S woke up at 2:30am and came into our room.  I let him hop into our bed, hoping he’d fall back to sleep.  He would not stop talking and wiggling.  Then Charlie starting getting antsy and scratched on the door (he sleeps in our room).  A few minutes later, I smelled something and tapped A (since I was sandwiched between A and S).  As I suspected, Charlie had pooped and peed all over.  UGH.  And I should’ve realized he was scratching on the door because he needed to go out.  Potty training this guy is a story for another day, but long story short, at 3am, I was trying to get S to sleep in his own bed while A was cleaning up poop.  Not sure who had it worse.

Sunday was our usual morning routine.  A and I tried to watch football and did get to see quite a bit of the Bears game.  It meant that the boys watched too much YouTube, but so be it.  Here’s hoping that we can squeeze in some fall activities next weekend (though the forecast is already calling for rain).

No comments:

Post a Comment