Tuesday, December 19, 2017

W at Five

W turns 5 tomorrow.

First of all, I can’t even believe I’m writing about W at 5.  I sound like a broken record, but 5 just seems SO old to me.  No longer a baby or a toddler, he’s a school aged boy.  It breaks my heart a little.

W still amazes us with his memory and the minute details he can recall.  A and I often wonder if he has a photographic memory.  He’ll bring up a broken light in a parking lot we encountered 9 months ago or casually mention that Uncle Brian brought over his race-car bed when he was 2 and we had to take Addie for a walk so she wasn’t in the way.  He’ll notice when a neighbor gets a new mailbox or that a specific house places their garbage cans on either side of the driveway instead of adjacent to each other.  He asked me why he had two hospital bracelets when he was a newborn and A and I joked that he probably remembered being in the hospital.


 W loves to build and create neighborhoods.  He often plays with blocks at school.  He can see a picture of a magna-tile creation and recreate it.  He’s very good at understanding spatial arrangement and I still think he’ll be an engineer someday. 


 He seems to have an amazing ability for math, but can’t really explain how he came up with an answer.  For instance, we mentioned that the date was Friday, December 8.  He replied, “then next Friday is the 15th”.  When we asked how he knew that, he just said he knew.  My mom’s cousin sent us coasters and he told my mom that she could have five of them.  Knowing that there were 10 altogether, I asked why grandma got five.  He replied, “I thought she’d get half.”  And then there are other times in which I’ll ask a simple problem (5+2) and he’ll spout off an incorrect answer without thinking.  I’m not sure if he’s bored with my question and didn’t take the time to think it through.  It’s a bit strange, but I have a feeling that he’ll excel at math one day and I’m excited for him to learn more in kindergarten.



He seems to prefer to talk to adults and can be very shy around other kids.  He has a silly side, but seems more serious than other kids and is definitely sensitive.  He seems to have a large vocabulary and will use words such: ridiculous, evidently, confused, assume, etc…



W is still garbage truck obsessed and greets our recycle man and garbage man every Friday with treats (I’m not sure who looks forward to it more – they’re basically BFFs).  His garbage trucks and mini garbage cans are his favorite toys by far.  He’s also discovered how to find garbage truck videos on You Tube and watches them daily.



Along with garbage trucks, W also loves owls.  He has a collection of owls and all have names.  He often makes up stories about them and his beloved Mommy Owl is usually the lead character.  He also has quite a few other owl items including: shirts, blankets, pajamas, books, and ornaments.



He seems to enjoy dressing up and looking “spiffy” and gets confused when I set out “comfy clothes” to wear.  I absolutely love this about him and never tire of choosing outfits. 



He told me that when he grows up, he wants kids.  “I’ll have 4 kids - 2 boys and 2 girls.  And I guess I have to find a woman.  Maybe you can be the mommy because Grandma will be too old.”  I didn’t have the heart to tell him it doesn’t really work that way, but I promised I’d watch his 4 children. J



He is still a picky eater, but has been more willing to try new foods.  Favorite foods are pizza, homemade mac and cheese (which he basically makes himself), ramen, and Starbucks bagels.


I’m so proud of him and so very grateful to be his mom.


2 comments:

  1. My youngest son's birthday is today too. Also a W (William). But mine's 18!

    I love reading about your boys because it brings back so many memories (that I forgot about!) from when my sons were small.

    My W received his fourth college application response today and he's four-for-four accepted.

    Little does he know he's not allowed to leave home :o)

    I read your previous entry. Sorry you're having such a tough time.

    I hope you can enjoy Xmas with your guys and find answers to your fertility/career fix in 2018. Sooner than later.

    I'm rooting for you, C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fourth college acceptance! That's amazing!! Congratulations!! You must be extraordinarily proud! :) It's funny that you said he's not allowed to leave. I've convinced my W that he should go to Northwestern University because the school color is purple (his favorite) and it's close by (not to mention it's a great school). ;) Always wonderful to hear from you! Happy holidays!

      Delete