Monday, February 19, 2018

Weekend Recap

Gosh, weekends just fly by.  I’m jealous of A and the boys who all have today off for Presidents day.  Why didn’t I become a teacher??  Oh yeah, because I have no patience…

W’s school was in a bind and asked if I could pick up groceries for them over the weekend.  We have to earn parent participation points and this seemed relatively easy so I didn’t mind at all.  The only catch was the grocery shopping had to be done at Walmart.  Not my favorite store.  I promise I’m not a grocery snob, but I kind of despise Walmart.  Anyway, it was relatively painless and the boys liked checking out a new (to them) store.

From there, I met up with a couple girl friends I’ve known since middle school.  I love catching up with them and we ended up talking (and eating) for over 3 hours.  The poor waiter… It was so great to reminisce and vent about work issues that we’re all going through.  It’s funny (or maybe ironic) – they’re both teachers, but we all have similar work complaints.  There really is no perfect job (or maybe I’m just unaware of any that exist).

While I was with the girls, A took the boys to lunch and then to an indoor bouncy place.  Best dad ever!!

Sunday was our usual.  The boys were super cranky in the morning and I ended up putting S in the car to go to church without shoes.  I think they were worn out from the day before and S woke during the night (he seems to be getting another cold L).  After church, I asked the boys if they thought they deserved Starbucks after such a challenging morning. W (my thoughtful, analytical one):  “Well, we weren’t very cooperative this morning, but I think we’ll be better this afternoon.  So we should go and we’ll be good this afternoon.”  So we went.  But mainly because I wanted coffee.  The rest of the day was mostly uneventful.  The boys were still a bit cranky.  I took them both to the grocery store with me to get dinner items and they were perfect while we were out.  I think we’re all just tired of winter and longing for some fresh air.




And that was our weekend.  I started a new book about raising healthy sons.  It’s interesting – the author suggests that three things essential (or especially helpful) in raising successful boys are a relationship with parents (especially dad), practicing religion, and avoiding pressure.  I just started it and I’m trying to read it with an open mind, but there are already ideas I’m questioning and/or disagree with. J  It also mentions that boys these days do not spend enough time outside exploring and too much time inside playing video games, which I definitely agree with.  My goal is to avoid gaming systems for as long as possible (but that’s so easy to say now when the boys have no clue what they are).

No comments:

Post a Comment