Monday, February 26, 2018

Weekend Recap

“I hate people,” I muttered as I processed a complaint for one of the company’s products.  The patient wasn’t using the product according to the prescribing information, but was complaining about its physical properties and inquiring about off label usage (something only a physician can speak to).  My colleague chuckled and gave a sympathetic smile.  That’s basically how I felt all week.  Angry, upset, completely fed up, and close to (or in) tears each and every day.  I just wanted to avoid everyone.  I wanted to crawl into bed and not emerge until somebody, ANYBODY gave me some good news for a change. 

So what happened?  Well, on Monday, a routine appointment for our dog quickly turned into a likely cancer diagnosis.  X-rays, a fine needle aspiration, a cell culture analysis, and $1000 later, we still have no definitive diagnosis (though the vets believes Addie does have cancer).  In my mind, this was just the latest in a 6 month series of bad news, setbacks, and struggles, and I was DONE.  Now I was faced with the possibility of losing my dog and I couldn’t bear the thought of any further obstacles.  I was in such a terrible mood and I felt like I had reached my breaking point.  DONE.

But then something happened.  I realized how many people were reaching out to me.  My colleagues were asking for updates on Addie and asking if I was ok.  I had friends sending me messages asking how I was and if they could help.  Family members were sending love.  A friend stopped over for a quick visit.  I realized that one of my colleagues had even logged a product complaint for me – at 7:30 on a Friday night no less, just so I wouldn’t have to worry about it on Monday morning.  Those little actions restored my faith.  Yes, things really suck sometimes and life is HARD, but there are amazing people who reach out and show up when you’re in need of support the most.  And suddenly my sorrow turned into gratitude.  That gratitude further expanded in celebrating A’s birthday on Sunday.  When he was young, I’m sure a 38 year old CF patient seemed unfathomable.  And yet, here were are.  I am immensely thankful for A and my little family.

As for the rest of the weekend… it was insanely busy, but packed full of family time, which is the BEST.  My company offered free admission to the Adler Planetarium on Saturday so we decided to check it out.  We all had fun.  The boys loved the special kids area and A and I liked the Destination Solar System show we saw.  I don’t remember learning much about space in school so I found learning about the planets to be fascinating.  Methane lakes on Saturn?!  A storm the size of the US?!  SO cool…  









Once we got home, I had about 30 minutes before I had to leave again.  My mom and I worked at an auction that night to benefit my high school.  It’s something we do every year and we always enjoy it.  Unfortunately, turnout seemed to be at an all-time low.  It’s sad not to see more parents supporting their children, but I also understand that attending may be difficult from a financial perspective.  I ended up having the winning bid on a few items – Papa John’s gift certificates (I am NOT a fan of the pizza or the politics, but the boys love this pizza and the money was going to the high school) and also tickets to the Shedd Aquarium.  Earlier in the day, while in Chicago, A had remarked that we should go the aquarium next so I was excited to win tickets.  I finally got home around 10:30ish and couldn’t wait to hop into bed.  So tired.

Sunday was the usual.  I actually had to take S to the lobby during church because he was misbehaving.  A rarity, but he eventually settled down.  We went grocery shopping where the boys flirted their way into getting free cookies.  We topped off the weekend with an early birthday celebration for A.  He chose his favorite pizza place and the entire family came to celebrate.  All in all, it was a wonderful (albeit busy) weekend.  And we finally have warmer temperatures and sunshine today!!


As for Addie, the tests continue… hoping and praying she gets better.

2 comments:

  1. Please add my name (Anonymous!) to the list of people who are sad to hear the news about your Addie, and really hoping that your vet is wrong about the diagnosis.

    Despite your frustrations, you look lovely in your latest Stitch Fix wardrobe additions.

    The planetarium's swirly dark marble is really wild.

    Oh course, the dudes are as cute as ever. Maybe cuter.

    So GREAT that you were able to feel all the support coming your way and enjoy the weekend with your family.

    I'm going to use you as a role model!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words as always! :) It's not looking good for our Addie, but we're still holding out hope.

      Delete