Tuesday, August 20, 2019

A Busy Week, A New Addition, and the Weekend Recap


Things sure have been busy around here.  Last week started with me helping at the Open House at S’s preschool.  I enjoyed meeting new parents and discussing what I loved about the school, but it meant that I was gone for over 12 hours.  I got home just in time to tuck the boys into bed. 

Wednesday was so much fun.  The boys met me for lunch after their check up and then A took them to Nani and Papa’s house for the double sleepover they’d been requesting.  After work, A and I met up with friends for trivia night.  I love trivia night and it was great catching up with friends - both things we don't get to do often.  We all have little kids so it’s really difficult to get out – this was a rare treat!  We ended up finishing in fifth place and taking home a cheap bottle of vodka.  I was so sad when it was over because with the start of school, I know we won’t be able to return any time soon.  Thankful for a fun night with friends.

Thursday, after work, A and I headed to The Melting Pot restaurant.  Hands down, my very favorite restaurant.  We never go because it’s about an hour away and meals take about 2 hours – it turns into a very long dinner date.  But with the boys at Nani and Papa’s, we were able to indulge.  It was so yummy and I was so uncomfortably full afterwards.

Speaking of the boys, they ended up taking the train to Chicago with Nani and Papa and riding a boat to Navy Pier.  They even played at the children’s museum for awhile while they were at Navy Pier.  It sounds like they had a really great time.

Friday, I had a work event in Chicago.  I went to Navy Pier and had lunch on a boat cruise.  The Chicago Air and Water Show was taking place over the weekend and the airplanes were practicing their stunts and formations.  It was neat to see, but also very loud.  I had lots of fun, enjoyed spending time with my new colleagues, but it was a long day.




Saturday requires some back story.  It’s been over a year since we had to say goodbye to our Addie dog.  I miss her incredibly.  Like I still can’t talk about her without tears.  She was such a loyal dog.  She was a rescue and came to us with issues, but in our house, in our care, she was perfect.  Out of the house and any time people came over was another story.  But in the house, when it was A and I, she was always by our side, always knew when we were sad, always there to lick tears or just sit close when we needed her most, and she behaved so well.  It took a really long time to get over losing her.  Maybe I’m still not completely over it.  While in Maryland, A and I discussed adding a dog to our family.  We were both finally feeling ready.  I had been following local rescue groups on social media and found a sweet pup who was supposed to be good with kids and cats – not so easy to find.  On Saturday, we went to meet him.  He instantly hopped up and licked my cheek.  It was something Addie would have done (and did all the time).  He was gentle with boys, super friendly, and overall, just a mellow, happy guy.  So we decided to adopt him.  So far, he’s been such a good boy.  He’s met neighbors and neighbor dogs – something we were never able to do with Addie.  We’re working on potty training and the cats are not really fans of him (well, mainly Franklin isn’t a fan), but all in all, he’s done really, really well in our house.  After much debate, we decided to name him Charlie.  Charlie Sheffield to be exact. 😊  I know it can take awhile for dogs and cats to adjust to one another so we’re hoping Franklin comes around.  In the meantime, the basement has been a safe haven for the cats and we keep a close eye on all the animals.




Sunday, storms rolled through and we actually lost power in the morning.  It was interesting getting ready for church in the dark.  The afternoon was spent going for a walk, playing outside, and decorating for fall.  I know it’s super early, but it’s my favorite time of the year and I was ready.  Bring on ALL the pumpkin spice!!!  Both boys start school this week.  I can’t believe our summer is over – it went so fast!




No comments:

Post a Comment