Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Maryland Vacation Part 2


Sunday, we decided to head into Washington D.C. and walk around the National Mall.  This turned out to be a great plan because it wasn’t very crowded and street parking was free.  We knew the boys would do best walking outside and wouldn’t be interested in actually going in buildings so going on a Sunday was perfect.  We started with the Washington Monument and could see the White House off in the distance.  We told the boys that the Washington Monument was the tallest of the monuments and I think they were a bit confused because they often referred to it as the world’s tallest building (not quite) or W would refer to it sarcastically as the tiny building.  Anyway, from there we walked to the World War II Memorial.  The boys really enjoyed sitting along the edge of the pond and putting their feet in the water (which the signs indicated was acceptable).  And then it was off to the Lincoln Memorial.  I wasn’t sure how the boys would handle all the steps, but they saw it as a challenge and loved it.  Though admittedly, I was afraid they were going to fall off a ledge once we made it up.  At this point, the boys were hungry so we grabbed lunch and headed back to my aunt’s house.









Monday was my birthday – and consequently my favorite day in Maryland. 😊  In all the summers we’ve gone to Maryland, I’ve never celebrated my birthday there.  The morning was slow, which was perfect.  Late morning, A announced that he needed to run errands and he was taking the boys with him.  For a couple hours, I was able to read my book on the porch and respond to birthday messages.  I’m a person who needs quiet/alone time so with a house full of people, being able to quietly read for 2 hours was an amazing birthday gift.  The boys came back with grilled cheese and tomato soup – one of my very favorite lunches! (As I’m typing this, I’m realizing I sound incredibly boring – haha!!)  The boys played in the pool for a bit while my aunt prepared birthday cocktails and my uncle made my birthday dinner.  And he made…. drum roll… a taco bar!!  Complete with beef, chicken, carnitas, and every topping you could possibly imagine along with rice and beans.  It was so so yummy!!  After dinner, I blew out candles on a cake made to look like the beach and opened gifts.  It was such a fun birthday!!






Tuesday, we headed into Frederick, which has the cutest little downtown with shops and restaurants.  We had fun exploring and ate lunch at a pub.  We headed back to my aunt’s house for a bit and then we all headed to dinner at a local restaurant.  Dinner was great, but the boys had a lot of energy and I was definitely ready to return to the house.




Wednesday, we spent the morning in the pool and the afternoon was spent playing games.  The boys were really into games this trip and I enjoyed it too.  Some of their favorites included bingo, LCR, and Family Feud.  We also played Outburst.  If you have any game recommendations, drop them below – I’m hoping to begin a pizza and game night at home.  😊  Anyway, A and I ordered pizzas for everyone Wednesday night and we enjoyed eating outside by the pool.  In fact, most of our meals were eaten outside by the pool – such a minor thing, but one of my favorite things from the trip.

I loved this trip because we stayed busy, but nothing was on a schedule.  We could come and go as we pleased and everything just felt relaxed.  My aunt plans to move in a couple years so I’m sad that we only have a few more Maryland trips left.

No comments:

Post a Comment