Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Weekend Recap


Saturday.  The boys started a gymnastics class.  A and I thought they needed an activity to do seeing as we’ll likely have cold snowy weather for at least another 2 months.  We gave the boys a choice of tennis, swimming, or gymnastics.  Both wanted to try gymnastics.  And oh my gosh, was it funny to watch.  I think A and I were the only parents laughing hysterically.  S is just a funny kid.  His somersaults (front rolls?), or flips as he calls them, looked more like rolling down a hill versus an actual somersault.  He emerged from class a sweaty mess asking when he could do it again.  I love that he’s willing to try most things.  W seemed to enjoy it too.  This feels like the first “real” class the boys have taken.  We could see the older kids practicing several impressive flips, turns, etc. and view all the state and national qualifier plaques on the walls.  I’m assuming the boys won’t reach competitive levels, but who knows.

From there, we grabbed lunch and then headed home.

Sunday.  Church, breakfast, and Open House at W’s school.  We had fun visiting W’s classroom and S’s future kindergarten classroom.  I loved seeing all the projects the children have worked on.  The students in W’s class were focusing on Martin Luther King Jr. and each one had to come up with an idea for improving their community.  Naturally, W chose recycling. 😊  So cute.  We also visited the book fair.  I love W’s librarian – she always makes sure to set aside cat books for W.  I love that she’s taken the time to get to know my boy and remembers that he love cats.  My philosophy has always been to purchase most books the boys have requested (within reason).  Books are given for birthdays and holidays.  I’m definitely a believer in the benefits of reading.  I think we did go a bit overboard at the book fair, but the boys are really enjoying the books they chose.

Also worth mentioning, I started a graduate class.  I don’t think I previously discussed it, but I was accepted into grad school.  I decided to pursue this after my company announced that they were providing tuition assistance.  Earning my MS has always been a goal of mine and it seemed like it was now or never.  At this point, I’m setting my expectations low.  I’d love to complete my Master’s degree, BUT I’m going to wait and see how this first class goes.  I’m trying not to put too much pressure on myself.  If I’m being honest, I’m a bit overwhelmed.  I was really excited at first, but now the reality of being a full time working professional, involved mom, board member, STEM mentor, and student is weighing on me.  My plate is really, really full.  Eek.

And one more thing.  One of the kids in S's preschool class broke his arm.  S came home and told me Rafael had a casserole on his arm.  LOL!  Cast, casserole... same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment