Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Boston cont. / Happy Halloween


After Cheers, we walked part of the Freedom Trail and made our way to Faneuil Hall.  This was such a cute area with different vendors and shops.  I also loved the mix of centuries old buildings with modern construction.  After walking around for quite a while and even being serenaded by a rapper, we made our way back to the hotel.






The fabulous concierge recommended a few different Italian restaurants in the North End so I checked out menus and we made reservations.  We decided to walk, which was definitely the wrong choice.  Somehow, we took a wrong turn or missed a street – we were never really lost, it just took us a lot longer than it should have.  It was freezing and I was starting to feel terrible.  Thankfully, A found us a cab and we made it to the restaurant.  The restaurant was really cute – it was small, but had two floors.  We were seated on the second level.  I order the butternut squash ravioli and a glass of wine.  A ordered chicken marsala and a beer.  It was delicious!  One of the hotel staff had told me about Mike’s Pastry nearby.  He mentioned that the cannolis were famous and there was usually a line out the door.  We decided to check it out.  Holy cannoli!!  The bakery was busy, but not bad.  I bought 4 cannolis – the biggest cannolis I’ve ever seen.  I could barely finish half of one, but it was amazing.  I can see why this little bakery is so popular!  We took the subway back to the hotel where I climbed into bed with layers on, slippers, and multiple blankets.





Friday, I felt pretty awful, but it was our final day in Boston and I still wanted to see more of the city.  We decided to visit the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum based on a friend’s recommendation.  This museum was really neat.  It housed a collection of several pieces of art/furniture/tapestries, which were all out in the open – like close enough to reach out and touch (I would never bring the boys here).  After checking out all of the items on display, we walked to a nearby restaurant for a lunch and then headed back to the hotel to gather our luggage and catch a cab to the airport.






Being in the middle airplane seat sandwiched between strangers when you have a cold might just be the worst thing ever (A and I had to book our tickets separately).  I was so happy to get off that airplane.  I missed the boys lots and couldn’t wait to see them.  So thankful to our parents for watching them so we could have a little break and explore a great city.

Saturday was uneventful.  It was A's and my 11th wedding anniversary! :)  One of these days, we'll go out to dinner to celebrate.  But on this day, we ordered Chinese food, ate more cannolis, and played inside – the weather was really gloomy.

Sunday was our town’s trick-or-treat.  Presenting our garbage truck and French fries!!  W got SO many compliments on his French fry costume.  The idea was all his and when he said he wanted to be a French fry, A and I were skeptical.  Pinterest to the rescue!!  We finished the day with out first fire (of the season) in the fireplace and mostaccioli for dinner.  Happy Halloween!! (And I'm STILL sick... womp womp)





No comments:

Post a Comment