Tuesday, January 31, 2017

If You're Feeling Hopeless After the Election...

Know that you're not alone.  I feel that despair and concern for others as well.  And so do many, many of your fellow Americans.  Know that the majority of us did not vote for Mr. Trump.  And I'm not just talking about the 3 million additional people who voted for Mrs. Clinton.  I'm talking about all those who voted for a third party candidate or didn't vote at all because they were not sold on any of the candidates.

While it is difficult to find hope in this tumultuous time, it's there if you look hard enough.

After the election, I started looking at voter demographics.  I was interested in knowing who voted for Mr. Trump and I thought looking at the demographics may help me understand why.  While it's becoming increasingly difficult for me to understand why anyone voted for him, I found it refreshing to learn that only 37% of 18-29 year olds and 42% of 30-44 year olds voted for Trump.  There is hope for the future.

This election has inspired more women and more progressives to run for office.  I think this world absolutely needs more of both groups in politics.  I know so many strong, inspirational women.  Women who have what it takes to be leaders and inspire change.  Be that change you wish to see.  While running for office isn't my passion at this time, if it's something that interests you, by all means, go for it!  Now is as good a time as any!  Gather information and run for a local position.  http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/12/since-the-election-more-than-4-500-women-have-signed-up-to-run-for-office.html

The Women's March was incredibly inspiring.  Millions of women peacefully joining forces to fight discrimination.  It was an amazing sight to behold and made me so proud.  No arrests were made and the only criticisms I've seen of the March were complaints of signs left behind (eye roll) and vulgar language on signs (you're ok with inappropriate language when it comes from the President, but not when it appears on a sign?).

It was awesome to see protesters and lawyers rush to airports to show their support and offer their services to those attempting to enter our country from the seven banned countries.  There will always be heroes who stand out in times of desperation.

Don't be afraid to call your representatives and senators or send them an email.  I'm not much of a talker, but there are actually scripts available if you're not sure where to start or what to say.  Keep your stance clear and your message brief (no need for lengthy dialogue on the many reasons you feel the way you do).  Be empowered and make your voice heard! http://echothroughthefog.cordeliadillon.com/ The phones in Washington D.C. are ringing off the hook and it's inspiring to know that people care enough to contact their politicians.  As strange as it sounds, follow Michael Moore on FB - he always has suggestions and action items if you want to participate.

Do yourself a favor and take a break from social media.  I need to follow my own advice on this one.  The recent news regarding Mr. Trump's immigration ban had me in tears and there were times I had to just avoid the news and Facebook altogether to stay sane.  If you are using social media to voice your concerns, PLEASE, PLEASE stick to sharing facts and be respectful.  I've seen so much misinformation post election.  I think articles from reliable news sources are usually safe to share, but if you're sharing a video, check to be sure the message being relayed is accurate.  Remember, everyone has an opinion and anyone can create a video.  Just because something is said, doesn't mean it's true.  Feel free to (nicely) point out inaccuracies when someone else shares something false.  Misinformation hurts everyone.  I've also started unfriending or unfollowing people who are disrespectful and hiding my political posts from certain Trump fans who always feel the need to argue with me.  I get it.  We have a difference of opinion, but you sharing yours on my post will not make me change my opinion - it's just better for both of us if they never see my political posts.

Discuss your thoughts with friends and family.  Feel free to send me an email if you need to vent.  I always feel better when I share my concerns and worries with others who can empathize.  We're in this together.

When all else fails, eat your weight in jelly beans.  That's what I've been doing lately. ;)

Together we rise.  Stay strong. <3

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the encouraging words/suggestions but I must admit, with each passing day I become more and more alarmed.

    Jelly beans don't do it for me.

    Pass the Ghirandelli 60%Cacao Bittersweet morsels, please.

    Trying, but not succeeding, to stay strong!

    ReplyDelete