Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Weekend Recap (A Day Late)

We had such an incredible summer.  One that I’ll never forget.  It was my favorite summer to date.  So I suppose things were destined to seem a bit lack luster after coming off such a high.  But gosh, things lately seem to be a series of two steps forward, one step back.  Or in the case of our miscarriage, several steps back.  I guess the end of the week should have come as no surprise…

For the past almost two weeks, I’ve been getting these itchy spots on my skin.  Mainly on my feet, but I’ve also had it on my upper thigh.  So the spot would itch intensely for hours, then swell up, then be sore for a day and disappear.  At first I thought it was a bug bite of some sort.  Although, the spots were really annoying, they were somewhat manageable.  On Thursday, I got another spot on my foot.  The itching was much worse and so was the swelling.  So much so, that I couldn’t get a shoe on my very swollen foot.  Then the same thing happened with my hand and wrist.  I tried cortisone cream, Benadryl cream, oral Benadryl.  Nothing was working and the itching was making me crazy.  I had an eye doctor appointment that day and when it came time to sign forms and remove my contacts, it was really difficult to do so with my giant right hand.  I decided to head to urgent care after the appointment because I couldn’t handle the itching and really wanted to know what was going on.  The doctor diagnosed Angioedema, which is basically giant hives under the skin.  He said it was likely a reaction to something ingested, but could even be caused by a virus.  He prescribed a short course of oral steroid, but said that if it returned, I’d need to see an allergist to determine the cause.  I should also mention that at the eye doctor, I had my pupils dilated so there’s a good chance the urgent care doctor thinks I’m on illegal drugs…  Anyway, the angioedema did return last night, I still have no idea what is causing it, and I’m hoping it was a fluke because who has time to find an allergist?!?  Uggh.

Then Friday… A and I noticed S had developed a bit off a cough and assumed it was typical back to school germs.  Somehow, while we were at work, the cough got much worse and when S coughed hard, he’d vomit.  He didn’t keep anything down while my mom was watching him.  And my poor mom had multiple puke clean ups.  That night, he seemed relatively normal, a bit of a cough, but kept his pizza down.  And then when we put him to bed… well, let’s just say we had a lot of cleaning up to do.  And cleaning up puke is one of the worst things ever.

The next day, S was pretty much normal.  He still had a bit of a cough, but acted mostly fine.  Thankfully he kept his breakfast down and had plenty of energy.  Garbage pick-up was on Saturday because of the Labor Day holiday and the boys were so excited to see Darren. 

I never mentioned that W got a special hard hat from Darren and he's so excited to wear it on garbage day. :)

And how sweet is Darren?  Always thankful for people who are kind to my boys. <3

After getting ready for the day, I stepped outside to see A, W, and S all running through the yard, playing tag, and having a grand time.  It was so good for my heart.  I’m quickly realizing these little moments of quality time and happy kiddos do wonders for a broken heart.

  

Since my mom had already been exposed to S’s germs and since he was acting fine, we decided to head to her house to watch a local air show.  We ended up having a great time.  The boys couldn’t have cared less about the airplanes, but the weather was beautiful and we had fun playing outside, taking walks, and ordering Chinese food.  It was such a great, uneventful day.

Watching for airplanes

Sunday was our usual.  I made nachos for the Bears game (no surprise that the Bears lost)… A and I have gotten into a routine of creating yummy snacks instead of lunch during football season and I was happy to resume that tradition.



His expression says it all

I packed up a lot of S’s too small clothes (always a really depressing and difficult task for me – I get so attached to their clothes).  We played tennis outside, which felt so good!!  I miss playing and W was getting really into it, which I’ve always hoped for (but never wanted to push him into J).  All in all, it was a good weekend after a not so good end of the work week.  Thankful S is feeling better and hoping this week is a good one.

We're already wearing Halloween pjs

1 comment:

  1. Those were some good nachos!!! And playing tag really wore me out... I need to get in shape!

    ReplyDelete