Friday, September 22, 2017

Life Lately

Life lately has been difficult.  Both personally and professionally.  I’m confident that this is just a season and things will get better, but when you’re in the thick of it, it’s not easy to see the light through the darkness.

I know I’ve mentioned our miscarriage a few times, but I’ve also been dealing with an allergic reaction for 3+ weeks.  A trip to an allergist revealed that I have nearly every environmental allergy there is.  While the doctor wasn’t confident that the environmental allergies were causing the hives and angioedema I was experiencing, it’s a relief to have some answers.  A high dose of allergy meds and I haven’t experienced symptoms in 4 days.  Hoping that continues.

As for my job, my group underwent a massive reorganization in May and the new management is awful.  Where my previous managers made me feel empowered and valued, the new management takes credit for my work and doesn’t let me participate on improvement teams that are above “my level”.  My job responsibilities changed and a job I used to really enjoy has turned into a job I loathe.  If that weren’t bad enough, rumors are circulating that the area I work in will be sold so I’ve been worried that I’ll be out of a job soon.  I’m trying not to stress too much about the things I can’t control.  Somehow, it will all work out.  I’m hoping a position will open in another department and I can transfer.  Until then, I do have an amazing boss whom I report directly to (even if the upper management sucks).

SO with all that, I’m trying to focus on the good because even in the toughest moments, good can be found…

S is still doing amazing at school.  I keep thinking how hard it was for W when he first started preschool and S is the complete opposite.  I’m so grateful that the transition has been smooth.

On days when both boys are in school and I don’t have any meetings, I head over to Starbucks and work there for a couple hours.  I love it.  Something about the sounds of coffee being made and a change of scenery is so good for me.  I still get work emails and instant messages from colleagues while I’m there, but it seems less stressful when I’m alone with a caffeinated beverage.

I got another Stitch Fix and will share soon!  It’s been 3 months since I received a box so I was excited for fall items.  And new clothes are always a good pick me up!

Speaking of clothes, I won a Gymboree gift card through an Instagram contest hosted by the Bluegrass Mom (check out her cute blog).  I hardly ever win anything and was so excited to stock up on clothes for the boys.  I tried to be practical and picked out mostly shorts and tops for next summer since Gymboree was having a huge sale, but I also found a cute sweater for W.

I started Christmas shopping!!  As I receive sale notifications or coupons, I look for items for the boys.  I've gotten a good start on stocking stuffers and a few toys.

I’ve made some awesome dinners lately if I do say so myself.  They aren’t complicated or extravagant by any means, but they are tasty.  On the days I work from home, I love that I can make dinner.  And it definitely makes me feel good when the entire family (even W!) eats what I make.

Our Addie dog turned 10 last weekend!!  I can’t believe we’ve had her for 9 of those 10 years.  I love our crazy dog.

2 comments:

  1. For a whole different bunch of reasons, life has been tough for me lately, too.

    While I wish things were different for you, I must admit it is comforting to have someone else lay their problems honestly. Makes me feel less alone!

    Plus - even though you admit the difficulty, you also remember the positives. You are brave struggling through these times. I want to grow up to be you! But since I'm much older, I don't think that's gonna work out. Still, you are a good role model.

    Keep on keeping on, C, and I'm going to try to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always appreciate your sweet comments. And I hope things get better for you!! I'm always nervous about discussing difficulties or challenges because I don't want to be perceived as ungrateful or whiny, but I do want to keep it real. Life is messy and complicated. :)

      Delete