Monday, July 2, 2018

Weekend Recap


I still need to finish my previous catch up post, but wanted to document this past weekend so I’d remember it.  It was a good one and I’m all about reminding myself of the good times lately instead of focusing on the difficulties.

My friend of 20+ years had been asking me to get together.  I kept putting it off because I’m just not feeling social lately.  It’s difficult “catching up” when you feel like you have nothing but bad news to share.  Finally, I agreed to meet her for lunch on Friday.  I’m so glad I did.  We talked about my brother, failed IVF, Addie dog, family and when I was done talking about the past year, with tears in my eyes, her only response was, “Oh, C.”  I really haven’t told many people everything.  As in everything everything.  Most people get bits and pieces.  Hardly anyone knows about our IVF and mc.  I don’t like feeling pitied and somehow I associate difficulty with being weak.  I don’t like to admit that I’m struggling.  Talking with her was cathartic and I know she genuinely cares and wants the best for me and my family.  I also had fun playing with her sweet 1 year old while we ate lunch.

Every Friday afternoon lately, we head over to my mom’s house and order pizza.  Since my mom hasn’t seen the boys all week, she entertains them while A and I relax and watch the Cubs or do crossword puzzles.  Sometimes we sit outside.  This Friday was no different.  Poor A had taken the boys to the water park so he was exhausted.  Knowing he was tired, I volunteered to pick up the pizza.  W responded with, “you both should go!”.  When my mom questioned him, W’s response was, “Well, I just need a break from them.”  Wow.  Wow.



W loves seeing my toenail polish when I return from a pedicure.  He usually asks me to paint his toes and I do.  It’s become a fun little routine.  So last time the boys got a haircut (which is at the same place I get a pedicure), W asked if he could get one.  I was pretty sure they didn’t do kids pedicures and asked the stylist.  Sure enough, they do in fact do kids pedicures.  Note: Don’t ask, unless you’re absolutely certain the stylist is going to say no.  As a treat for finishing preschool and a pick me up for a very difficult summer thus far, I took W to his first pedicure.  And he loved it!






When we arrived home, there was a package waiting with the boys’ names on it.  It was a blanket from my mom’s cousin and it just so happened to be purple and have owls all over it – W’s favorite color and the boys’ favorite animal!  So very thoughtful!



Sunday was our usual.  Did I mention that it’s been terribly hot lately??  Because it has.  Of course, we were supposed to walk in the annual Independence Day parade with the boys’ preschool and the heat index was over 100 degrees.  A and the boys rode on the float while my mom and I handed out bubbles along the parade route.  It might have been the hottest I’ve ever felt.  Somehow, we made it to the end without passing out first (there were a couple times I didn’t think I’d make it).  I have to mention that S was the cutest little parade participant I ever did see.  He doesn’t do well in the heat and usually turns into a sweaty mess, but he rallied and smiled and waved to everyone along the parade route.  So darn cute.  W started off waving and then lost interest.  Once it was over, we found a nearby restaurant for lunch.  All in all a fun (HOT) day.  I should also mention, that participating in the parade was a bit of a struggle – I’m not feeling particularly patriotic or proud of recent occurrences and I questioned being in it.  BUT.  I wanted to support the preschool and the city I grew up in.  I decided to celebrate the America that I believe in – one that isn’t defined or exemplified by 45.  So in that regard, Happy 4th!





No comments:

Post a Comment