Monday, April 1, 2019

Weekend Recap


Not enough hours in the day.  My ongoing state of being.  I had every intention of writing a quick post on Friday and ran out of time.

All the guys were on spring break last week.  It was a nice little break for me as well seeing as I didn’t have to rush the boys out the door and didn’t have to do any school drop offs.

Our new table finally arrived.  It still isn’t perfect – I noticed a flaw, but since the first delivery didn’t work out and this is already the second table, I’m just going with it.  Perfection is overrated.  



A and I also hung pictures.  I had previously had a clothesline on the wall and hung school projects from it.  It started off cute, but with more and more school projects, it just looked like a big/out of control mess of construction paper.  So instead, I selected a few pieces of art from each of the boys and framed them.  The picture in the middle is a recreation of Van Gogh’s Café Terrace at Night, which my brother created.  He was a very talented artist and I love that this piece of his hangs in the dining room.  I miss him so much.  It’s also worth noting that the hooks weren’t supposed to be visible.  We didn’t realize they would be and just went with it.  But I think they add a little character – especially since they are visible on all the kid artwork. J



I am also planning to add a little cart for our Keurig, but I’m not sure if it will be too crowded in this space.  I’ll have to see it and then decide.  But I  love that this little area is now a (more) functional dining room instead of a place where random toys and mail reside until they can be dealt with (which is always far too long).

Wednesday night, the boys spent the night at Nani and Papa’s house.  It was so so nice to have a little break.  Thank you, Nani and Papa!!  A and I went out for a date and had the BEST night.  We had dinner at an upscale steak restaurant.  So so yummy!  We killed time by grabbing a few house items at Pier One.  And then we headed to trivia night at a local bar/restaurant.  We shared spinach dip and drinks and had so much fun trying to guess answers.  We finished at the bottom, but we only had a team of 2, while there were other teams of 8.  All in all, it was one of my most favorite dates ever and we’re hoping to repeat this date over the summer.




Thursday, A and I did lots of spring cleaning around the house.  We cleaned out my poor car – seriously, kids and cars do not go well together.  A installed new big kid car seats and then picked up the boys.

Friday, my mom came over for pizza.  We ate at the new dining room table and played Uno Attack – the boys are obsessed with this game and play every day.  But this is exactly why I wanted a bigger table.  I grew up playing card games with my extended family and have such fond memories.  I envision the same for our family and hope to have more get togethers.

Saturday consisted of lots of errands and lunch at Choo Choo Charlie’s.  




Sunday was our usual routine.  A ended up taking the boys to the park even though it was freezing – like 30 degrees… if you find spring, please send it in our direction.  But the boys were practically bouncing off the walls and arguing with one another so some fresh air was needed.  We’d already played Uno, Memory, read books, and worked on Light Bright by that point.  A saved the day.



2 comments:

  1. That sounds like such a fun date! Also, we will be in Chicago this weekend - when we lived there we didn't have kids and now we have 3. We will only really have a few hours to kill in the morning on Saturday - any recommendations for something in the city that doesn't take a long time? Was thinking the Lincoln Park Zoo but not sure what the parking situation is over there (we didn't have cars when we lived there).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Lincoln Park Zoo, but parking can be tricky. My kids also really love the children's museum at Navy Pier (the Ferris wheel is there too!) and the Museum of Science and Industry (though it's a bit further and they think it's called the Museum of Science and Injury - lol). Saturday is actually supposed to be really nice so you could probably even hang out at Millennium Park.

      Delete