Thursday, April 23, 2015

Who Will They Be?

One of the things I enjoy most about being a parent is observing the boys’ evolving personalities.  A and I often talk about what the boys will be like as young adults and we love to speculate on what their interests will be.  Now that S is here, it’s impossible not to compare him with W.

W is my serious one.  He’s an observer and a thinker.  He’s a problem solver and I’ve always said he’ll be my engineer someday.  He understands cause and effect.  He’s also very caring, concerned, and passionate, worrying about others.  W can be very sensitive and takes things personally.  I used to describe him as laid back and for the most part he still is, but he can also be very shy and cautious when experiencing a new situation or new people and he doesn’t seem to handle change very well.  A thinks W will not be athletic, but I disagree.



I know S is only 2 months old and his personality will continue to emerge, but there are a couple traits that already stand out.  S is my social one.  At 2 months, he’s very quick to smile and not at all particular about who he smiles at.  If you talk to him, you’ll be the recipient of one of his impressive smiles.  And when he smiles, his entire face lights up.  He loves to carry on “conversations” with anyone and everyone.  He can be a bit dramatic and impatient – if a bottle is not available when he wants it, he will let you know that he is not happy.  He’ll even continue to “yell” at you after a bottle is produced just to make sure you know that he is not pleased. J  When I was pregnant, I said he’d be my wild child and I have a feeling that may hold true for my social butterfly.




No matter what personality characteristics these boys possess or what their interests are, we’ll love them just the same.  They are unique and perfect in every way. J  In the words of Dr. Seuss, “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”

No comments:

Post a Comment