Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Weekend Recap

I can’t believe we’re already into July.  I always think of the 4th of July as half way through summer vacation.  The fact that we’re already at the half way point is just sad.

This weekend had its share of ups and downs. 

Actually, let me start with Thursday night because that was loads of fun (in the most sarcastic way).  W and S usually go to bed at the same time.  I get W ready for bed and A gets S ready.  So while I was in with W, A came in and told me he needed help.  S had puked all over him, the chair, the carpet, etc.  So S went straight into the bath tub where he promptly pooped in the tub.  He was seemingly fine, just wide awake at that point so we brought him downstairs where he began emptying the pantry.  Kiddo left a path of destruction wherever he went.  He was totally fine by the way, proving once again that no one pukes more than my kids.

Friday started with me realizing I had lost an earring.  My only pair of real diamond studs that were a gift from my mom.  It occurred to me that it probably got caught on my shirt when I was changing clothes to clean out the bathtub that S pooped in.  I searched everywhere… bed, carpet, rooms, etc.  I was so sad.  The only pair of earrings I truly care about.  And then, about 4 hours later, I found my earring in the one place I hadn’t looked.  My bra.  Yup, that’s how the day started.

So after my half day of work on Friday, we headed out for pizza and then it was off to S’s 15 month well child checkup (just 2 months late – oops).  Little big man is off the charts for all measurements.  Our checkup was with the nurse practitioner since we scheduled the appointment so late (which was fine with me) and she suggested that we try to wean S from the bottle, which we have been trying to do.  We’ll work on that a bit more after vacation.  Also worth noting, S was absolutely crazy during the appointment – running back and forth, trying to open the blinds, shrieking, opening every single drawer and cabinet he could get his hands on and slamming them shut.  A and I were both embarrassed – we’ve never seen him act quite like that.  Must have been the pizza.  And I’m sure the NP made a little note on S’s file – future Ritalin candidate…

From there, we headed to the wake for A’s grandma (the boys’ great grandma).  Sad she is no longer with us, but she lived until 99 years old and we take comfort in knowing she’s at peace.  We didn’t arrive home until after 10pm so it was straight to bed.  And S decided to be up for a good portion of the night.  Sigh.

Saturday morning/afternoon, we attending the funeral for A’s grandma.  My mom kindly watched the boys while we were there.  I honestly can’t remember what we did that afternoon, but I’m sure it involved playing outside.

Sunday was church in the morning and Starbucks drive through.  I have to share a little story about this.  While in line, I said something along the lines of “Oh no!  I really wanted to use my Starbucks card and get the points, but I just realized I left my wallet in my purse (I had the diaper bag).”  W chimes in from the back, “Oh, it’s ok, mommy!  You can just use your phone!”  I thought for a minute and realized oh my gosh, he was absolutely right.  I had the Starbucks app on my phone to reload the card, but had never actually used it to pay.  W must have seen other people pay that way.  I can’t believe how observant he is!

After that, it was off to the Independence Day parade.  W, S and I were planning to walk in the parade with W’s preschool and my mom asked if she could join us.  Things started off alright.  I was pushing the boys in their stroller and my mom was handing out lollipops to the people watching.  She gave W one to which he responded, “Oh grandma, you’re so kind to give me a sucker.” Haha.  J  The preschool had designed a “float” which was on the back of a tow truck.  Well, the tow truck kept honking (a very loud honk) and S got upset every time that happened (which was all the freaking time).  I felt bad for S and decided to carry him part of the way.  All 30.8 pounds of him.  Then W decided my mom needed to stop the stroller and let him out so he could pee.  He still wears a diaper so I have no idea why he needs to be stationary for such activities, but we stopped for a minute.  Naturally, the parade kept going as parades do and we ended up with a group of African American males chanting “fathers matter!”.   Obviously we did not fit in and I’m sure people were wondering what the heck we were doing.  Since we were far enough away from the tow truck at this point, I set S back in the stroller to give myself (and my arms/back) a break.  My mom said she’d push for a bit since I had been carrying S for quite a while and my arms felt like they could fall off.  We walked a few steps only to have a man basically yell at me that my mom should not be pushing the stroller and I should be pushing her.  Thank you, judgmental jerk.  Anyway, we eventually caught back up to the preschool and a couple old friends ended up seeing me and jumping into the parade to walk with us for a bit.  Alls well that ends well I suppose.  After the parade was over, the boys played at a nearby park until A picked us up.  For some reason, once we got home, I thought it was a good idea to take another really long walk.  Needless to say, I was absolutely exhausted by bed time.  Annnd I ended up getting up with a sleepless S for nearly 2 hours.  Uggh.

Monday, my mom came over for a little cook out.  I had planned on packing for our upcoming Maryland trip and running to the store for a few things so we kept it very simple – grilled burgers and brats, corn on the cob, strawberries, chips and salsa.  It was one of those days where the boys were driving me bonkers.  S was tired and crabby since he hadn’t slept well and he ended up taking a 30 minute nap instead of his typical 2 hour nap – so he was even crankier.  And W had at least 3 time outs for pushing S.  A suggested bringing the boys to Nani’s for a little visit so I could run to the store and pack in peace.  I couldn’t’ respond yes fast enough… haha.  I got a ton of packing and cleaning done and the boys had fun seeing their cousins and playing at Nani and Papa’s house.  Unfortunately, they both fell asleep on the way home and (I think) that resulted in W waking up during the night.  So I was up again with him.  Soooo tired today.  And I had a 7:30 meeting.  The morning after a holiday that involved fireworks going off at all hours of the night.  Pass the coffee.  Vacation cannot come soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment