Monday, March 4, 2019

Weekend Recap


Greetings as we embark on day 1386 of winter.  Seriously, though.  During a weather report over the weekend, I heard the meteorologist mention that our average temperature for this time of the year is in the 40s.  It was -5 as we left the house this morning for school drop offs.  I am slowly (or maybe rapidly) losing my mind.

Despite our weather, I do have quite a few high points I need to mention!

A turned 39 last week!!  I was thinking back to when we first met – A was only 23 (and I was 21!!).  What a difference from 23 to 39.  It feels like an entirely different life with kids and careers and responsibilities… oh my.  A celebrated his birthday with a trip to CF clinic.  He didn’t receive exact numbers, but was told that his lung function hadn’t really changed.  I always take that as good news.  Especially with our brutal winter, a few cold bugs, and A has been without Cayston for a couple months as his insurance changed and we’re trying to get that sorted out.  So taking it all as positive news and hoping that Vertex keeps moving along with the drug discovery and approval process!

Friday, we headed out to one of our favorite pizza places with Nani and Papa in order to celebrate A.  After delicious pizza, cupcakes, presents, and 14 trips to the bathroom, we headed home.  W received his report card on Friday as the second trimester came to a close.  He’s 2/3 of the way through the school year... Crazy!  We’re so proud of our boy.  His teacher mentioned that he was a great listener and very respectful and he’s reading.  His grades all improved from the first trimester so he went from satisfactory to very good in many subjects.  Even his gym teacher mentioned that he was a very hard worker (in gym?!?)… that’s news to me and a huge difference from when we signed W up for soccer and he either stood in the middle of the field while kids played soccer around him or rolled his eyes at the thought of kicking the ball and instead picked it up with his hands and chucked it into the net. 

Saturday began with swimming and Starbucks.  The boys were definitely not on their best behavior in Starbucks.  W was upset that they were out of his favorite type of bagel and insisted on sitting at a different table by himself.  Fine, whatever.  S was a bit noisy and defiant.  I will admit that his behavior has been challenging lately and I feel like he’s testing us.  Anyway, the lady at the table behind us turned around and glared at least twice.  And that pissed me off.  Kids are kids – they are not always perfect or well behaved.  They can be annoying.  They can be loud and defiant.  But I truly believe that’s how they learn.  A and I handled the situation and then we ultimately left when S acted up again.  So take your judgmental looks to another table, lady.  Last I checked, Starbucks is a public place and one in which people are expected to talk and make a certain amount of noise.

Saturday night, my mom came over to watch the boys so A and I could attend a Moulin Rouge themed benefit.  I guess I am now a person who attends fancy benefits.  And I’m definitely loving it.  Ha.  (I’ve actually only attended 2 galas and I was invited by friends, but that’s beside the point)  So A and I got dressed up and met up with my friend, Katie, at the event.  We enjoyed dinner, raffles, dancing, and then called it a night because we are old.





Sunday was our usual routine.  We’re all just tired of being stuck inside and it felt like we were constantly having to entertain the boys and/or break up arguments.  Ugh.  Paw Patrol, Memory, Uno, chess, a blanket fort (or cage as S calls it – here’s hoping he doesn’t tell his teachers he was in a cage this weekend) and homemade mac and cheese and I breathed a sigh of relief when it was finally time for bed.  I should also mention here that W taught me how to play chess a week ago and did an amazing job explaining the rules and then he legit beat me yesterday.  Look out, Bobby Fischer!


No comments:

Post a Comment