Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Surviving the toddler years

As we’re nearing the end of the first year, I’m getting more and more nervous about parenting.  That seems silly, but let me explain.  When you’re pregnant, you’re so excited about having a baby…. You don’t (or maybe it’s just me?) think about the toddler years, the kid years, the pre-teen years (gasp!!), etc.  The focus is on that little, tiny baby.  Then the baby arrives and it’s basically feeding, changing, comforting, engaging.  That’s all been pretty easy and I know I’m oversimplifying, but still... the first year seems more about fulfilling basic needs as opposed to teaching and molding a little person.  I mean sure, there have been tough, cranky, sleepless nights here and there, but for the most part, the baby part hasn’t been all that difficult.  Raising a toddler, on the other hand, scares the bajeebies out of me.  Potty training?!?!  Gross.  I’m so not looking forward to all the peeing and even worse… pooping everywhere!  OMG.  I don’t even know where to start.  I have no patience whatsoever and just the thought makes me shudder.  And the other thing that scares the bajeebies out of me – disciplining.  It’s my job to raise an independent, respectful, grateful, well behaved little man.  How the heck do I do that?!?!  I’m not really into spanking so do I do time outs?  A naughty step?  The corner?  Will I suck at following through?  I can’t suck at following through, then he’ll know he can get away with things.  What if I’m too easy going?  What if I’m too hard on him?  I need to tell him the right way to do things and not just emphasize what’s wrong, right?  Will I feel bad when he cries?  I.am.already.freaking.out.  How do we survive the toddler years?!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment