Monday, April 11, 2016

Weekend Recap

We had such a great weekend despite Mother Nature trying to bring back winter.  There was actually snow on the ground when we woke up Saturday.  Yuck.  We started the day with a big breakfast.  The boys (including A) are all big fans of breakfast.  I am not, but I do enjoy sitting at the table with all my guys and I love that they start off the day with a hearty meal.  A made homemade waffles, scrambled eggs, bacon, and sausage.  After that we decided to head to the bowling alley.  W has never been bowling and we thought it’d be a nice change of pace.  I think he was a little unsure of it all, but we had a great time.  And the bowling alley had bumpers and a ramp for W so he could fully participate.





Then it was off to lunch.  S fell asleep for a bit, but woke up just in time for food. J  The boys chowed down on chicken, hamburger, and French fries.  They’ve been eating a ton lately… I’m getting nervous for the teenage years.  They were awesome all throughout lunch.  So good in fact, that A and I decided to get some chocolate brownie meltdown dessert thing.  The dessert looked nothing like what was pictured – A and I joked that if this was Pinterest, it would have definitely made the Pinterest fail list.  But it tasted delicious and really, that’s all that matters.

From there we headed home and I attempted to do some cleaning, which was futile.  Every time I got something picked up and put away, S was right behind me taking something out.  Seriously.  I attempted to organize the play kitchen and S started emptying all the puzzles.  I tried to pick up the puzzles and S emptied the book basket.  I tried to clean the kitchen and S started emptying out the bottom shelf of the pantry.  I cleaned the bathroom and S starting taking things out of drawers and cabinets.  My little mischievous man.  Eventually I gave up.  Who needs a clean house, anyway?

Sunday was our usual church, Starbucks, grocery shopping routine.  S took a long nap, 2+ hours, and I allowed myself to sit on the couch and read a People magazine for an hour while A did his vest and W played.  It was blissful.


People were also incredibly nice to us this weekend.  The boys have their moments, but all in all, they’re usually well behaved when we’re out and about.  My philosophy has always been they can’t learn how to behave in public if I never take them out in public.  Anyway, at both the restaurant and grocery store, people approached me to tell me how cute the boys were.  While at Starbucks, we sat near a lady who was at a table alone.  My first thought was “oh, she’ll probably want to move away from us to preserve some peace and quiet.”  But instead, here’s what she said, “I knew there was a reason I came here this morning.  I love seeing your family every Sunday.  It’s so nice that you have family routines/plans.”.  Admittedly, I’m always worried about cutting up bagels, making sure W has enough juice, and trying to keep S occupied, I never pay attention to the other people at Starbucks.  It was such a kind thing to say and made me feel like I was doing something right.  It was also a reminder that I should make more of an effort to say something kind to fellow moms – I’d bet that we (moms) all feel like we’re screwing up at some point in the day....  Especially after reading a fellow mom blog in which mom explained that her child would eat healthy, organic foods, watch no tv, and have no screen time... sigh.  I used to think I might enforce those things too... definitely didn't happen.  My new motto is moderation is key.  J

1 comment:

  1. You go Starbucks lady!

    You go moderation mom!

    :o)

    ReplyDelete