Friday, March 31, 2017

Friday Thoughts

Do you ever have days where something upsets you, but you can’t quite figure out why you’re so upset?  That was Wednesday for me.  On Tuesday night, information was released regarding promising clinical trial results.  A combination of drugs had resulted in improved lung function for study patients with specific CF mutations.  I got SO excited.  And then Wednesday, after doing a bit of research, I realized that the drug was not studied in patients with A’s mutation type.  At first, I was disappointed, but as the day went on, I couldn't stop thinking about it and I felt so discouraged and disheartened.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy for those who will benefit from this drug.  Though it is far from a cure, it’s a step in the right direction.  But I’m so saddened that it won’t help A.  In fact, no drugs are approved to improve CFTR function for A's specific mutation.  I’ve been waiting 14 years (and I know that’s nothing compared to those who have been waiting a lifetime) and I’m tired of waiting.

The day continued with coworker moving into his brand new office (one of the perks that came with his promotion) and the rumor mill speculating that my job will be changing.  With new management, a change appears to be inevitable and I’m really nervous.  I’ve always enjoyed my job and I think my team does amazing work… so why change it?  Funny how decisions made to “improve business” don’t always seem to accomplish that objective and just add stress to the work environment.  By the end of the day, I was incredibly frustrated.

And then I thought to myself, why am I so upset?  Nothing has really changed.  I'm not worse off than when I started the day.  Does that even make sense?

With all that going on, I took a half day today and A and I are going on a little date (I had actually requested the time off prior to my challenging day and the timing couldn't have been better).  We’re seeing Beauty and the Beast and grabbing lunch.  I also booked myself a pedicure appointment for tomorrow.  Annnnd my next Stitch Fix arrives this weekend.  I peeked and it has lots of potential.  When the going gets tough, I always try to do a little something extra for myself.  Also reminding myself that I have a heck of a lot to be thankful for.  Sometimes those obstacles and hardships turn out to be our biggest blessings.

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment