Monday, April 24, 2017

Weekend Recap

Thankfully, our weekend turned out a bit better than I expected.  W went to bed at 5:30pm on Friday and work just before 6am Saturday morning.  He told us he was feeling better and asked for pizza for breakfast, which I took as a good sign.  I was really surprised since S had been sick for about 4 days.  Because W seemed to be feeling well, we decided to go to W’s friend’s birthday party.  It was at a place that advertises itself as a “sensory play space”.  We weren’t really sure what to expect, but there were different rooms aimed at different sensory experiences – a dark room, an art room, a game room, a music room, and a room to climb and make obstacle courses.  The boys really enjoyed it and I’m happy we could attend.  After pizza and cake, we headed home.

At this point, I started not feeling well.  Stomach pains, aches, and I was just tired.  I tried to tell myself it was from waking up early, but I was pretty sure I was the next victim of the stomach bug.  Nani had also let us know that she was sick.  A kindly took the boys on a long walk so that I could nap.  I woke up feeling better and we decided to head to church.  W ended up falling asleep right after mass began and slept through the entire thing.  S was a bit feisty and kept asking to go potty though he is not potty trained.  We ended up going to the lobby after communion.  After mass, A went back into church to grab our things while I stayed with W, who was still sleeping on me, and S.  A lady came over to me and asked if the boys were twins.  This has happened at least 4 times in the past month and it’s so strange to me – they look completely different and W is definitely taller than S.   I told her no, that they were 2 and 4.  Then she asked if I was a housewife.  At least I think that’s what she asked.  What?!?  I was so caught off guard and confused why anyone would ask that so I just said “uh huh”.  I have no idea what I was thinking or why I didn’t just say no.  I was trying to make sure S stayed near while W slept on me and I still wasn’t feeling great and just wasn’t up to having a long conversation.  So I guess people will just think I’m a “housewife” at our new church.  What the heck??

Anyway, once we got home around 6:30pm, W went to bed and S soon followed.  I was in bed around 8:30pm.  Pretty lame for a Saturday night.  A got to experience feeling like a bachelor again for one night – ha.

Sunday morning, I wasn’t feeling great and W complained that his tummy was hurting again.  Eventually, we both felt a little better and decided to head to W’s first tennis lesson.  It was not really what I expected.  The class was combined so that it was younger kids - a couple 4 year olds like W, but also older kids – 6 years old.  A big difference.  It was clear that W was the least skilled (to be blunt).  He seemed intimidated and I sort of felt like I set him up for failure.  I was picturing hitting the ball with the racquet, or maybe some parent child drills where I could work with W (since it was advertised as a parent child class), but it was mainly centered around learning the parts of the racquet, running drills, and balance.  There were some positive experiences – W did participate the entire time and I helped him throughout the class.  I think the older kids could provide him with someone to look up to.  BUT there were also quite a few times where W just seemed overwhelmed and disinterested.  I left feeling proud of him for trying, but also guilty, like I had pushed him into doing something he wasn’t interested in or coordinated enough for (even though I don’t think I ever pushed).  On the bright side, when we got home, he wanted to pretend that he was the tennis coach and gave me instructions.  He was able to communicate some of what he learned, which was awesome.  We’ll see what the next lesson brings…

By the time the lesson was over, I was feeling pretty good and so W and I decided to meet up with A and S at Starbucks.  I was able to eat half a bagel and some juice.  Neither of the boys wanted to go to the grocery store so I headed home with them while A shopped.  They convinced me to go for a long walk and we played outside for much of the day.  I also learned that Papa and my mom had caught the nasty bug, which leaves only A unaffected.  Here’s hoping he can continue to avoid it and everyone is healthy next weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment