Friday, January 26, 2018

Friday Thoughts

So funny story… the boys both sleep well during the night (finally…praise the Lord!).  W is not potty trained through the night so he stays in his room for about 11-11.5 hours.  S has an occasional wake up if he has a bad dream, but will remain in bed and call out for me or A.  Even when he wakes in the morning, he’ll start babbling or making noises and wait for me to come in and get him.  So I was sound asleep Monday night, heard a noise and opened my eyes to see S staring at me.  I was so startled/confused/disoriented – Was it Saturday?  What time was it?  In my sleepy confused state, I asked A, “what is happening here?”  S had climbed out of bed, opened his door, walked down the hallway, opened our door, and A and I never heard anything on the monitor.  Stealthy.  Pretty sure that little incident took years off my life.  Here’s hoping it doesn’t happen again.

This winter, the boys have lost approximately 79,350 pairs of mittens, gloves, hats, etc., but who’s counting??  Bring on spring!!

Thursday morning was rough.  Both boys have been impossible to get out of the house and to school on time.  They don’t want to put on coats, hats, shoes, etc.  They don’t listen.  They’re too busy playing.  They just don’t cooperate.  And it’s not just for me – they’ve been acting the same way for Nani and A.  I had had it.  I was ready to head out of the house and leave S at home, but my mom managed to get his coat and shoes on.  Protesting, he started screaming in the car.  I went into a long lecture about how they needed to be better listeners, it was rude to be late and make people wait for them, I threatened no tv in the mornings, no toys, etc.  I was done.  I left school really frustrated.  And then when I picked them up for the day, the boys were outside playing and this happened:

Little girl: “Excuse me, but S isn’t sharing the telescope.”
Me:  Wow – this girl has really great manners, must work on that. “S, you need to share.  Everyone can have a turn with the telescope.”
S: “No!”
Me:  Ugghh… think of something… I really don’t want to climb up this playground structure and pry S away from the telescope.  And as I’m trying to quickly think of a solution, W chimes in…
W: “Well, you know, S is only 2.  He still needs to learn sharing.  He already got in a big fight this morning before we even left for school.  He’s cranky today.”

The little girl shrugged and waited a few more seconds, S decided he was done, and she got her turn with the telescope. 

Ho-Ly crap.  W articulated what I couldn’t.  Maybe I’m doing something right after all with these two.  They don’t even need me anymore. ;)

We’re off to visit what we hope is W’s future school this weekend.  Kindergarten… whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa… I’m NOT ready!!




No comments:

Post a Comment