Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Christmas 2017

All good things must come to an end and here I am back at work.  We had a wonderful Christmas and I can’t believe December is already over and we’re in to 2018.  I wanted to do a quick (or maybe not so quick) recap so that I’ll be able to look back and remember Christmas 2017.

Typically, Christmas Eve is spent with my dad’s side of the family.  My dad passed away 15 years ago and I really enjoy getting together with my aunts, uncles, and cousins on his side of the family.  I’ve always been close to all of them and it’s a great way to remember my dad.  I’ll try to keep the drama brief, but this year was a bit different.  I noticed that my cousin (who happened to be my matron of honor – which is hilarious now that she’s been engaged 3 times, married twice and unbeknownst to me, was pregnant with her new boyfriend’s child at my wedding) unfriended me on Facebook.  I had no idea why and thought it was ridiculous.  A month or so after unfriending me (and A), she sent me a rude FB message from her mom’s account even though she had my phone number.  It basically said that she was hosting Christmas Eve and I should at least have the courtesy to respond to her message and let her know if I’d attend.  I was still confused, but didn’t want to deal with any drama, especially on Christmas Eve, so I told her I had other plans and left it at that.  She went on to ask me why I thought I was better than everyone else in our family, told me she unfriended me for my political posts (which I hardly ever post), told me I ignored her two Christmases ago and ignored her again at a wedding, and that I didn’t like her FB posts or pictures enough.  It was laughable, immature, and absurd.  And after all that, she asked why I didn’t want to spend Christmas with her.  Haha!  After the FB messages, she then started texting me, telling me she was sorry, that we should talk, and that we needed to keep our family together.  It was bizarre and I didn’t want my boys anywhere near that craziness so I again declined the invitation.  I saw one of my aunts just a few days before Christmas and while I did miss seeing other cousins, aunts, and uncles, I don’t regret my decision to avoid the drama. 

SO all that to say, we decided to spend Christmas Eve at my mom’s house.  Prior to heading there, we went to mass and were asked if we’d like to bring up the gifts.  I felt really honored to be asked, but was a little worried we’d drop communion or the boys wouldn’t want to walk with us.  Luckily, all went perfectly and it was a great way to start the day.  

The boys and my mom at church on Christmas Eve.  I love their little outfits. :)

Christmas Eve at my mom’s house was wonderful.  We indulged in comfort food – fried chicken, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese.  The boys opened their gifts from my mom and received their Power Wheels Jeep!  I think they were really surprised!  W is a terrible driver (doesn’t get it from me! ;)), but we had fun watching him try to drive S around in the snow.  Unfortunately, our temperatures have been in the single digits and it’s too cold to go outside, but I know they’ll have fun whenever they get to drive it again.  It ended up being a relatively low key Christmas Eve, the boys got to bed early enough, A and I played Santa that night (the best!!), and I really enjoyed the day!


I LOVE that we had a white Christmas!!  We got just enough snow to cover the ground.


I've taken a Christmas Eve pj picture every year and I love looking back and seeing how the boys have grown.

Christmas day, the boys woke to find more gifts under the tree and big wheels from Santa.  Not surprisingly, no one wanted to go to church (yes, as Catholics, Christmas Eve mass was separate from Christmas day mass and we went two days in a row!  How’s that for commitment?!? J).  Somehow, we convinced the boys to get dressed and made it to church on time (miracles happen!).  Once we got home, the boys checked out their stockings and opened one gift from Santa.  Soon enough, it was time to head to A’s parents’ (also known as Nani and Papa) house.  We had a delicious lunch (or was it dinner?) of beef tenderloin (sooo good!!) and several sides and the boys had a blast running around with their cousins.  It was a little chaotic, but I remember growing up with several cousins and I LOVED holidays with them so it makes my heart happy to see the boys playing with their cousins.  There were too many presents and we left with full hearts and full bellies.






But we weren’t done yet.  The day after Christmas, my mom and brother came over for brunch.  We’ve done this three years in a row now and I so look forward to it.  We stay in our pjs or comfy clothes.  I make cinnamon rolls and a breakfast casserole while A makes pancakes, bacon, and sausage.  We eat a ton and then we all open gifts to one another while the boys open their remaining presents from Santa.  Wrapping paper, ribbon, and toy boxes are everywhere.  I usually ask for a mix of practical items (my favorite shampoo, undies) and splurge items that I can’t justify buying for myself (a pricey cardigan, more Lipsense) and I got a good mix of both.  I even received jewelry from my mom and A!  All in all, it was a truly great Christmas.  I love that we draw it out for 3 days because it really does seem like a magical time and I’m always so sad when it’s over.  Being a parent at Christmastime is such a blessing that I’ll never take for granted.







Wishing you all a very Happy New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment