Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Time Off

The remainder of our days off were spent sleeping in (until 6:30am) and playing with new toys.  Our temperatures remained in the single digits so we typically only ventured out when we had to (or when the boys got stir crazy).  It was so nice not being confined to a schedule. 

Highlights of my time off included taking the boys to the indoor play place at the mall to burn off some energy.  Aside from losing my beloved hat in the mall, it turned out to be a fun day, complete with a Starbucks hot cocoa stop (A is now addicted to hot cocoa).





We got to enjoy lunch with our closest friends and their kiddos.  Believe it or not, all five kiddos, age five and younger were nearly perfect.  S did drop his drink and decided to lay on me while I was eating, but all in all, the kids were great and the food was yummy.

I cashed in one of my gift certificates (that I realized I had received last Valentine’s Day - I’m not always so good at using gift cards) and enjoyed a relaxing pedicure.

We sadly took down our Christmas tree because it was losing way too many needles and no longer taking in water, but it did give us some much needed space for ALL the toys!




We somehow convinced my mom to watch the boys for a couple hours while A and I watched a movie and ate sub sandwiches.  We watched Gone Baby Gone – I didn’t love it, but it was nice to be able to spend time with just A.

A and I somehow managed to move the world’s heaviest treadmill from my mom’s house to ours.  This requires a little back story.  I mentioned in a previous post that I felt a little lost lately.  Work hasn’t been great and the miscarriage left me trying to figure out how to let go of a dream and move on with life.  I haven’t been happy, I haven’t felt like myself, and I’ve eaten more Christmas cookies than anyone should.  I mentioned to A that I really wanted a treadmill and thought I could walk while he did his vest in the evenings.  Even though we wouldn’t be doing the same thing, we’d at least be together.  I had a treadmill at my mom’s house that has sat idle for the past 10 years.  I didn’t even know if it worked.  I wasn’t sure if I should just buy a new one or try to hire movers to get the old treadmill from her house to mine.  Since treadmills apparently cost hundreds of dollars (I had no idea they were that pricey), movers seemed like the best option.  Fast forward a bit:  I asked A to take a look at the treadmill and I wanted to see if it still worked.  It did and A said he thought we could move it ourselves.  I said no way.  He wanted to try.  You guys, that was the heaviest thing I’ve ever moved and I was sore for days, but we did it!  We got it up my mom’s stairs and into our basement.  I’m 3 for 3 days in terms of exercising and sometimes I even get crazy and jog a bit.  I feel so much better when I finish.  It isn’t much, but it’s a start to a heathier me.  And I was so proud of A and I for moving that enormous thing!!

It wasn’t all sunshine and rainbows – the boys had their moments where they were tired of being stuck inside and tired of one another.  I had to call into a couple work meetings (despite being on vacation – boo).  But I also had coworkers sending me instant messages telling me to stop working and reiterating that I was on vacation, which I appreciated.  It was a reminder that I have really great coworkers who have become good friends even if my job is far from spectacular. 


For the most part, it was a blissful break from work and I’ll miss being with the boys daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment