Monday, August 6, 2018

Birthday Weekend Recap


Friday was a long, busy day.  Both boys woke up at 5:45, which is way too early for them so I knew it’d make for a challenging day.  W had his final STEM class.  Let me digress here and say that we signed W up for a few different one week classes during the summer and he’s LOVED them.  STEM was no exception.  He built different contraptions using straws, toothpicks, marshmallows, tape, paper cups, clay, etc.  I was so impressed with this class.



Anyway, after class and lunch, A took the boys for haircuts.  After that, we were supposed to go to our new church to take photos for their directory.  They offered a promotion where we’d get a free 8x10 photo if we went.  Here’s where I should have realized that NOTHING is free.  So W had a major meltdown before we left because he was so tired at this point.  He threw a fit because he wanted to change into his picture clothes at the church.  I told him that made no sense, but he could definitely change out of his picture clothes and into comfy clothes after the photos were taken.  Cue full on temper tantrum.  Somehow A got him out the door and into his car seat where he continued to cry and carry on.  We made the short drive to church and once we arrived, the location had changed so we found our way to the “old” church.  W cheered up as we found our way around.  The pictures went well, but the photographer took quite a few, which confused me.  Here’s the part where I’m incredibly naïve.  I thought she’d just take a family shot for the directory, but she took several family photos, pictures of just the boys, and A and I sans boys.  We then went to a meeting room to view the images.  So we’re choosing photos we like best and every five minutes the boys are asking if we’re done, telling me they’re bored, asking to go to the bathroom, etc.  And I’m getting stressed as the photographer is showing us different layouts, frames, even Christmas cards.  So we get to what I think is going to be the end of it, and she announces that our total will be $200+.  WAIT, WHAT??  I said umm, no.  I’m not spending that.  So she took out some of the photos and talked us into getting this framed piece with 3 photos.  And then says, “Do you want to purchase the photo CD?”.  WTF?!?  Had I known  this was an option, I would have just bought that.  I don’t know why I didn’t stop her right there and tell her that, but I do know the boys were done at this point, I was stressed, and I just wanted to get out of there.  So we got in the car and I told A I had no idea what I just bought, I have no idea why I agreed to it, and where the heck was I even going to put this giant framed photo.  I felt like such an idiot.  Blaming A too because he could have told the lady no way… he probably assumed I wanted the stupid overpriced picture.  So A suggests we just cancel the order and buy the CD.  Great!  Then I look at the receipt and it says orders are processed immediately, no cancelations.  Of course!  Because I’m sure they’ve scammed hundreds of people into ordering.  UGH.

After that disaster, it was off to Touch a Truck, where we all had a great time.  The boys loved sitting in various trucks.  W’s favorite was the garbage truck (of course!) and S’s favorite was the snow plow.  We grabbed dinner from a food truck, which was fun.  The boys jumped around in bouncy houses (I really hate those things), and we called it a night.






Saturday, was W’s final t-ball game.  It was so darn hot.  Mid 90s at 11am and I was not a fan.  But I am super proud of W for participating.  He had great hits all season and improved in the field.  And he was adorable in his baseball cap.






After that, I got my haircut and then Susana came over to watch the boys so A and I could go on a little birthday date.  We went to an amazing steak restaurant and stuffed our faces.  The food was SO SO good.  Wine, kale and artichoke fondue, filet mignon, mashed potatoes, mushrooms, and brownie with ice cream for dessert.  I ate so much.  But it was really great to eat delicious food and talk to A.  We toasted to a better year ahead and I’m really hoping that’s the case.

Sunday was church and Starbucks.  The boys made me a birthday cake, which was delicious.  I opened some fabulous gifts, including Ed Sheeran tickets – I’m so excited!!  The Cubs lost – boo.  And we finished the night with spaghetti from Olive Garden.  It was another really hot day and while I originally suggested a trip to the water park, it was nice just to have some down time.  It was a really great weekend and I appreciate my guys making me feel extra special.

Preparing for brighter days to come!

S only has eyes for cake!



1 comment: