Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Christmas 2013


Greetings from the arctic!  It’s been insanely cold.  The wind chill has been in the -40 range.  Apparently that’s cold enough to make boiling water instantly turn into to snow, cause frostbite in about 10 minutes, and turn your eyelashes into icicles.  School was canceled for 2 days and I was told to work from home.  It was definitely nice to work in my pjs and have extra time with my guys, but I think we’re all a bit stir crazy.  This morning as I headed to work, my car said it was -11.  So it’s still extremely cold, but not as windy.  Having extra time at home meant we actually had some time to organize and clean up the house a bit.  Gosh, did the house need it!  We packed up the ornaments and the tree yesterday.  It made me sad.  That final piece of holiday bliss is gone.  No more twinkly lights. L  But it reminded me that I still hadn’t written my holiday recap on the old blog.  So here it is…
 
Christmas Eve was spent with my side of the family.  We went over to my aunt and uncle’s house, which is only about 10 minutes from us.  Another aunt and uncle were in town from Florida and it was the first time they met W.  I was a little nervous about how W would hold up.  He hadn’t taken a second nap that day.  But he was awesome.  He even took a nap on the couch while everyone talked and laughed around him.  We had a great time.  Ham and delicious sides were served.  One thing that I really love about my family is they keep my laughing.  And there was no shortage of laughter that night.  Between the Christmas trivia game, my cousin thinking there was a reindeer named Dixon, and finding the pickle, I laughed all night.

 
 
Christmas morning, we went to mass.  I was a little disappointed – there were very few people at mass on Christmas.  Our church friends must have gone to Christmas Eve mass.  Even the usual choir was different.  Oh well.
 



 After mass, my mom came over for breakfast.  Breakfast casserole and pancakes were served.  Very yummy.  I think we need to make Christmas breakfast at our house a new tradition.  I really enjoyed it.  We also opened gifts and watched W check out his toys.  He enjoyed ripping up the wrapping paper, but had no idea what was going on.

W eventually went down for a nap and we got ready to head over to A’s parents’ house.  We picked up my brother from the train station on the way there.  My mom, brothers-in-law, sister-in-law, and niece and nephew were also there.  Another delicious meal was had – turkey, beef, and yummy sides and lots more presents were opened.  It snowed much of the day and it was just beautiful.  Like something out of a story book.
 
All in all, it was a perfect Christmas.  I’m already looking forward to next year.  Christmas with a little one is just so much fun.  Every year, I promise myself I’m going to finish everything (shopping, baking, wrapping, cards, etc) early and it never ever happens.  I’m sure the next Christmas will be no exception. J

No comments:

Post a Comment