Monday, December 28, 2015

W Turns 3!!

My Dearest W,
Happy 3rd Birthday!! I can’t believe you are already 3 years old. Time certainly has flown by and yet, at the same time, it feels like you’ve been a part of our family forever.


This was a tough year for you in terms of change and transition. Adding S to our family in February definitely changed your world and I think you’re still adjusting. There are moments where you’ll tell me you don’t like S and there have been countless time outs for hitting and pushing, but then there are other times where you’ll bring S a toy, want to help feed him, and tell me that you love him. I suppose this is typical brotherly behavior and I hope the two of you become close as S learns to interact and play more.

You started going to preschool alone this year. This was incredibly difficult for both of us – lots of tears, lots of frustration, lots of Mommy questioning if we made the right decision in enrolling you. I can finally say, we’re in a really good place. You no longer cry when I leave (only took 3.5 months) and when I pick you up, we talk all about your day. I love getting your paintings and projects. They are proudly displayed throughout our house.

You are my best little buddy and the two of us share a special bond. You’re always up for running errands with me no matter what they are – bank, grocery shopping, mall. You sit with me at church, want to sit next to me at dinner, and always want to ride in mommy’s car. You often tell me that you love me, that I’m special and so nice, that you’ll miss me and think about me when I leave, and that you like me best. Whenever you need help with something, it’s always “Mommy will do it!”. You give the greatest hugs. I’m soaking it all up now because I know there will be a time when I’m not the center of your world and when hanging with your mom just won’t be cool. But I hope you know that I’ll always be here for you and I hope we’ll always be close.

Your personality has really evolved this year. You talk nonstop and even say things like “abominable snowman”, “actually”, “American flag”, and “passenger”. Your vocabulary has expanded so incredibly much. You love to sing and are keen on Jingle Bells and Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer at the moment. You also make up songs including, “The Breakfast Song”, “The Lunch Song”, and “The Supper Song”. You’ll often come home from school singing new songs. You love to make up stories and nearly every story involves Addie (Dee Dee). Dee Dee ran away and we have to go find her, Dee Dee is in the recycling bin because she is empty, Dee Dee is going to take a bath with you... You’ve always been a problem solver and that has not changed. You’ll offer verbal solutions to problems and think through situations… “Maybe the elf climbed the ornaments to get to the top of the tree?” In a physical sense, you’re really good at puzzles and building. You take tasks very seriously. You hardly cracked a smile while opening birthday presents – you had a job to do. You are sensitive and often ask why someone is upset or crying. You are thoughtful, logical, and stubborn. You’re an observer. You’re also a rule follower (outside of home) and your teachers tell me that you often repeat rules to the other kids.

People still comment on your red hair and someone approaches you nearly every time we go grocery shopping to inquire about your beautiful hair.
This year wasn’t an easy one, but at the same time it was amazing, wonderful, and fulfilling in every sense.
Happy, happy birthday! You are our everything and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment