Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Happy New Year

I’ve been reluctant to write a New Year’s post this year.  Mostly because I can’t believe this year is coming to an end.  That just doesn’t seem possible and by delaying this post, I’ve been hoping to delay the arrival of a new year.  I wonder if every year going forward will feel like a blur with busy schedules and a full life.  I’m so thankful for this season of life, for a wonderful, mostly healthy husband, little boys that always make me smile, and a job that brings me happiness.  But I also need to remember to take a step back and appreciate each moment.  I have this nagging feeling that things won’t always be so great.  Apparently, I also need to work on being more optimistic. ;)

I looked back at my post from last year and the one word I used to describe 2014 was eventful.  I would describe 2015 as transitional.  Transitional in a good way.  But there were lots of changes that occurred for our little family.  The most obvious and most important was the addition of S.  The newborn days are hazy.  A new family member came with new challenges.  I wouldn’t change anything, but suffices to say that W had a difficult time with the arrival of S and still does in some ways.  We all had to adjust and find new routines.  S, though, he’s a dream come true.  And I often think we hit the baby jackpot with his happy demeanor and easy going nature.

W started preschool in late summer and that was a LOT more difficult than I ever imagined.  I’m happy we stuck with it and I’m relieved that we made it through, but those first few weeks months were very difficult for all of us.  3 and a half months later, I can finally leave W without experiencing any tears.

I started working from home a couple days each week.  This is one of those “seemed like such a good idea at the time” things and I’m happy that my job offers flexibility.  But working from home does come with its share of challenges – spotty internet in the quietest places in the house, a spotty phone signal in the basement (where I often work), a slow printer, a slow scanner, juggling meetings that occur at the same time as preschool drop off.  These are things I never really thought about and yet they make completing work a lot more difficult.

My favorite things from this past year: becoming a family or 4, W speaking in complete sentences, our trip to Maryland, summer Cubs games, working part time after S’s arrival.

I'm sad to say goodbye to 2015.  Here’s to 2016!!


No comments:

Post a Comment