Wednesday, December 31, 2014

The Obligatory New Year Post

When I think about this past year, 2014 stands out as the most eventful year of my life to date.  I still can’t believe things happened the way they did.  And I actually have that thought daily… “I can’t believe…”.

Travel seemed to be the theme for the first half of the year.  I found myself going on lots of work trips – Cincinnati (twice), Philadelphia, and San Francisco.  Luckily, most of these were short trips and A even got to travel to San Fran with me.  We also visited family in the Baltimore/Washington area in early July.  Fortunately, there was no travel in the second half of the year.  Well, technically there was, but I got a pass given my current state. J

Early in the year, we entertained the idea of moving, but just weren’t sure it’d be an option.  I was very doubtful and I’m still shocked at how things happened.  If you’d told me last year that I’d have a new house and be a landlord, I would have laughed… and then laughed some more.  I couldn’t fathom things working out and it seemed like a far-fetched idea.  But a few chats with a realtor friend and a mortgage broker gave us hope.  And somehow, in June, against all odds, we had a signed contract for our new house and renters for our townhouse!  I’m pretty sure that we’re crappy landlords – we don’t check on the townhouse even though it’s only a short walk from our house and we’re probably way too trusting when it comes to our renters, but for now, it works.  And I LOVE our new house.  It’s just perfect for us and I don’t plan on moving ever again.  I love that W has a back yard to play in.  I love the layout.  I love that there are enough bedrooms for our growing family.  So so grateful for the way things worked out.

Around that same time (because house hunting didn’t provide enough chaos), I underwent a third round of IVF.  We wanted to give W a sibling and I was sure it would take several tries.  I was really impressed with our new clinic, but still anticipating that the third round would not be a successful one.  Much to my surprise, I found out I was pregnant on the very same day our offer on the house was accepted. 6/3/14 will always hold a special place in my heart.  And every day, I find myself saying, I can’t believe IVF #3 worked.  We’ve been given such an amazing gift.  I can’t wait to meet our newest little guy.

We had a few bumps in the road in terms of A’s health, but I’m happy and very appreciative that he’s currently doing well.  Praying for continued health in 2015.

The remainder of the year was a busy one.  W continued to grow like a weed before my eyes.  Adding new words, new tricks, and becoming more independent with each passing day.  Fall flew by at lightning speed.  Halloween was so much fun and Thanksgiving was wonderful.  Christmas was a 3 day affair, but somehow, it was over in an instant.  And before we know it, little man #2 will make his debut.

2014 was likely the most eventful year to date for me, but I think it also flew by the fastest of any year I can recall.


To be honest, I’m really nervous about 2015.  It feels like nothing can compare to this year.  And as anxious as I am to meet this little one, he will also change our family dynamic, which makes me a little apprehensive.  Don’t get me wrong – he was very much planned for (obviously) and prayed for, but things will be different.  And I know the transition will be tough for W.  I guess what I’m trying to say is that 2014 was nothing short of amazing, awesome, and remarkable.  2015 will bring lots of changes.  The new year will most certainly have a lot to live up to, though I know we’ll make the most of whatever comes our way!  Happy New Year!  Here’s to a fabulous 2015!!  J


1 comment:

  1. U are such a taskmaster - for yourself! Funny, but realistic, too. I can tell you, in my personal experience, adding kids (I have 3) to the family changed EVERYTHING. For good and bad. That's life, right? Here comes 2015!!!

    ReplyDelete