Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Weekend Recap

What an eventful weekend/start of the week we've had!  I figured I'd better write about it before I forgot everything.

Friday, we celebrated A's dad's birthday (Will's Papa).  We went to dinner at a Japanese restaurant - one where the chef cooks dinner in front of you and performs tricks as he cooks.  W loved it.  He had a blast watching the chef and other customers.  On the downside, he hardly ate anything, was up way passed his bedtime, and fell asleep in the car on the way home.  Not a good combination and I was expecting a rough night.  But to my surprise, W slept through the night.  He woke up early and was a little cranky the following morning, but still better than I anticipated.

Saturday was W's birthday.  We had a full day planned for him.  We started by heading to the Wonderland Express exhibit at the Chicago Botanic Gardens.  It's basically several trains set up in a miniature version of Chicago - with lots of lights, trees, and even snow falling indoors!  W loved seeing all the trains and the snow.  He did have a meltdown as we prepared to leave - I think a combination of being tired and overstimulated, but all in all we had a great time and we're excited to return next year.

We headed home so W could nap and A and I could prepare for a little party.  We plan to have a larger party in January, but wanted to have a little get together on W's actual birthday.  Grandma G, Nani, Papa, and Uncle Matt came over for a very low key celebration.  There were balloons, sandwiches, a few appetizers, and cupcakes.  I thought it was perfect.  I just didn't have the energy for a big, fancy party.  W did great opening gifts - I'm not sure how he even knew to rip the wrapping paper, but he wasted no time.  He also loved blowing out his birthday candles, but as expected, wanted nothing to do with the cupcake.  Kiddo does NOT like sweets - he clearly doesn't get that from me.  When everyone left, he had a major meltdown - the result of utter exhaustion, but I know he had a great day. :)  He even slept 11.5 hours that night - unheard of for him.


After, such a busy Saturday, Sunday consisted of going to church, doing some grocery shopping, watching football, and playing with W's new toys.  We all needed some downtime.

Monday, A headed out to finish up Christmas shopping and W and I headed to my mom's house to wrap presents.  Of course, W enjoyed seeing Grandma G's cats and exploring the Christmas decorations.  He was great and entertained himself while my mom and I wrapped several presents.  At one point, he tripped and fell right into the cat's water bowl.  He was very upset, but I couldn't stop laughing.  W had to walk around pantsless for some time while his pants dried in the drier. :)  The rest of the day was relatively calm.  I wrapped more presents when we got home and even started watching one of my favorite movies - Love Actually.  I only watched about 40 minutes of it before it was time to head to bed, but still, it was great to be able to watch a movie!

Today, A and I took W to the library.  They have a new fairy tale themed area in the kid's section and W had so much fun exploring the gingerbread house, Cinderella's carriage, and giant light bright.  Unfortunately he fell while crossing the drawbridge and now has rug burn on his forehead.  Fail.  It seems to have faded quite a bit so I'm hoping it looks better tomorrow.  Not the best look for Christmas!!  After that we headed to lunch and thought for sure W would take a long nap.  Nope.  A tried to get him down for a nap for quite some time and then gave up.  Instead, the two of them headed outside while I headed out to run a few errands.  An hour and a half later, they were both still outside!!  W better sleep well tonight.  Despite the nap strike, W was in a great mood all day and he had A and I cracking up tonight.

In other news, I've been extremely uncomfortable the past few days.  Baby is very high and I'm having some trouble breathing.  I cannot get comfortable at night and hardly sleep.  Hoping that baby will move lower or change positions.

Ok, I'm sure I'm leaving things out (pictures to come), but this is already a long post and it's time for bed!  Excited for Christmas with W!!

No comments:

Post a Comment