Monday, December 8, 2014

Weekend Recap

As predicted, this past weekend was super busy and was over in a flash.

My cousin stopped by on Friday to have a look at our fireplace.  I’ve never had a fireplace before and was so excited to have one in our new house.  A grew up with a fireplace, but the one in our house is gas as opposed to wood burning and we just weren’t sure how to use it.  Actually, we were told that it could be used as a gas fireplace or a regular wood burning fireplace… the point is, we didn’t know what we were doing and didn’t want to burn down the house.  So my super handy cousin came over and showed A how to turn on the fireplace.  It was so exciting to see the fire going when I walked in from work… until the fire went out a short time later.  Doh!  A was able to get it going again, but once again, it went out.  I blew on it and it came back to life.  So we’re thinking it needs to be cleaned or there’s something going on with the pilot… Kind of a bummer.  At least we had a fire for a short time.

Saturday was a loooong day.  It started off great.  We celebrated St. Nicholas Day.  W put a shoe outside of his bedroom door on Friday night (well, mom put a shoe outside his door).  When A opened W’s door in the morning, W saw a present and a couple dollars in his shoe right away.  He wasted no time opening the gift (from Nani) and also seemed to appreciate the money in his shoe.  Makes me very excited for opening presents on Christmas!

A short time later, A and W went on their “top secret mission” and arrived home with donuts, bagels, and Starbucks!  Yes!!  I love their missions. J 

After that, we all headed to the bank and grocery store.  W fell asleep on the way home, but woke as A was trying to get him to his bed.  So he had a 5 minute nap and refused to go back to sleep.  As a result, he was cranky for the remainder of the day.  Not fun.  He did get a haircut and was very good during that, but the rest of the afternoon was spent trying to avoid meltdowns.

Luckily, W went to bed early and slept about 11 hours.  For W, that’s really good.

Sunday was our busy day.  We went to church and then headed to a pancake breakfast with the whole family, which included: me, A, W, my mom, Nani, Papa, Uncle M, Uncle B, Aunt B, Aunt B’s mom, and W’s 3 cousins.  Everybody!!  It was lots of fun and W got to visit with Santa!  I wasn’t sure how it would go, if there would be tears.  But W was great.  I could tell he was a little nervous as he sat on Santa’s lap, but no crying.  I also got to hold my new nephew.  All in all, a great breakfast and fun with family!

We headed home and W fell asleep in the car again.  This time we were smart and had taken off his shoes and jacket ahead of time.  A was able to transfer him to his bed with no problems and he took a 2 hour nap.  Phew.

As W napped, I started sorting through baby clothes.  Lots of them suddenly had yellow stains that weren’t there previously.  Uggh.  Why does that happen?  Hoping the stains come out in the wash.  It was fun to find all those tiny hats and booties and reminisce about little Christmas outfits and newborn clothes.  I’m anxious to get everything put away, but the OCD organizer in me is having a hard time deciding just how to organize everything.

After that, we dropped off Christmas gifts for the family we adopted.  There were several other people dropping off gifts at the same time – always makes me so happy to see that. 

Then, it was off to see the holiday train roll into town.  Unfortunately, it was pretty chilly, it was a bit of a walk to the train, very crowded, and the train was late.  We did run into some church friends.  They have twins who also attend W’s preschool so it was nice to talk with them.  When the train finally arrived, it was neat to see it all lit up.  I think W liked it too.  But by the time the train came to a stop, I was ready to get out of there.  Cold and hurting!  Carrying W and the long walk were taking a toll on my back.  I’m glad we went, but I think we’ll wait until W is a bit older before we go again.  Apparently, there was singing, Santa, hot chocolate, and more, but we were too tired and cold to check out any of that.

So after all that, we decided to grab a quick dinner at IHOP.  Somehow we ended up with an IHOP gift card last Christmas and we still hadn’t used it.  I’m not much of a breakfast person and had never been to IHOP.  We thought we’d try it for dinner.  So we went and that might have been our first and last time at IHOP.  Ha!  It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t good either.  I’m sure their breakfasts are much better.  At least it was mostly free thanks to the gift card.

Also, I forgot to mention that we’ve been doing Elf on the Shelf.  I’m not sure how I feel about the whole elf spying for Santa and always being on your best behavior, but W is too young to understand any of that anyway.  For now, we’ve just been hiding Crispin the Elf around the house and W has a blast trying to find him.  We ask where Crispin went and when W notices he’s not in his most recent hiding spot, he’ll walk around the house saying “hmmm” as he searches.  Really cute. J

Oh!  And I never heard anything from the doctor, which means I don’t have Gestational Diabetes!!  Yay!! J

And finally… THIS.  A sent me this picture of W in timeout.  He rarely gets a timeout.  I could count the number of timeouts he’s had on one hand.  And don’t let that picture fool you.  He may look sorry, but as soon as he got up, he grabbed the teething ring that he got in trouble for throwing and threw it again.  He redeemed himself and avoided another timeout by putting the ring back in the closet when I asked him to.  Oh, W…

So that was our wonderful, busy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment