Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Considering a new RE for IVF #3


Remember how I took Thursday off so I could tackle my to do list?  Well, one of the tasks on that list was to make an appointment with a new RE.  I was extremely nervous making that phone call.  I can’t believe we’re thinking about IVF again.  It’s both exciting and terrifying at the same time.  We’re not ready to go through another round of IVF yet, but we do want to have a plan in place for when we are ready.  Switching REs is a decision that I’m really struggling with.  It’s hard not to go with the same doctor that gave us Baby W.  Really hard.  W is perfect and I can’t help thinking that changing doctors is messing with perfection.  BUT there were a few things I didn’t like about our previous clinic.  For one, it’s big.  With several locations.  I never felt like my doctor really knew me or A.  Our first round failed.  I know my expectations were too high and a failed IVF round happens to a lot of people.  But we also didn’t end up with any embryos to freeze.  We started with 11 fertilized eggs… it just seems like we should have had more to show for that cycle.  Our second cycle was successful, but again, no frozen embryos out of 11 fertilized eggs.  During the second cycle, even though I was told my protocol would be exactly the same as the first cycle, the doctor ended up switching one of my medications at the last minute.  The switch wasn’t the result of how I was responding to the medications I was on.  As I understood it, the RE had decided much earlier that he wanted to switch medications, but the medication was never ordered for me.  As a result, I had to pay extra for the medication to be delivered same day by courier.  I remember watching the clock wondering if the medication would be delivered on time to make the injection.  It was extremely stressful.  Finally, with each round, I saw several nurses.  On retrieval day, both times, the nurses started talking about A’s “fresh sample”.  Umm…. A had a TESE, which meant we could only use a frozen sample.  It seemed like they should have known that.  Obviously, the doctor knowing was most important, but the nurses should have known too.

So, with all that, we’re meeting with a new RE from a different clinic in a few weeks.  A friend recommended this RE.  The practice is small and has slightly higher success rates.  It also happens to be a little closer to home.

When all is said and done, I plan on following my heart.  I tend to get a “feeling” when I meet people and can usually tell if we’ll be well-suited.  I hope I get a good feeling from this doctor.  If not, it’s back to the original RE.  I really liked the nurse I spoke with on the phone so I hope that’s a good indication of things to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment