Monday, October 14, 2013

Weekend Recap


This past weekend was awesome.  Why oh why can’t weekends be three days?!?

I mentioned that on Friday, my company participated in a community service project.  I wholeheartedly believe that every single person should be involved in some type of community service.  It’s good for the soul.  It makes the world a better place.
 
We participated in Habitat for Humanity.  Some colleagues worked at the actual construction site, while others worked at ReStore.  I was assigned to ReStore – probably a good thing since I am not even the least bit handy.  ReStore is basically a warehouse full of building supplies and home furnishings – everything from windows and carpeting to couches.  All the items are donated, people come and purchase them, and the proceeds go to building new homes.  Awesome.  I spent the day organizing materials and delivering donated items to the warehouse floor.  The work was more physical than I realized – lifting heavy floor tiles, moving furniture, and installing drawers.  I was beyond exhausted at the end of the day.  But I felt great about the work we did.
 
Saturday, A let me sleep in.  I was still sore and tired from working at ReStore.  Thank you, hubby!  After Baby W woke up from his morning nap, we took him to visit my aunt and uncle.  They had graciously offered to watch him and we decided to take advantage of the offer.  I was really nervous about leaving W because he notices when we aren’t around.  He has also been very clingy since he started teething again, but there were no tears as we left the house.  A and I hoped to catch a movie (we haven’t been to the movie theater in about a year), but the movie times didn’t work out.  We decided to grab lunch and run a couple errands, then head home to watch a movie since we still have several unopened DVDs we’ve been wanting to watch.  Lunch was wonderful.  It didn’t matter where we went or what we ate; it was just so enjoyable to have time together.  Uninterrupted conversation.  Eating slowly and finishing an entire meal.  Bliss.  We both agreed that we needed to go out, just the two of us, more often.  As new parents, we’ve put so much energy into raising baby W and trying to be the very best parents for him.  I think our relationship suffered.  I’m not saying we loved each other less or we weren’t getting along; I think we actually love each other more now that W is here and we hardly disagree on anything, but we weren’t making time for us and our relationship took a backseat to parenting.  I still struggle with finding a balance between work, being a great mom, and being a great wife, but this weekend made me realize that I need to put a little more effort into our marriage.  In some ways, I feel like our marriage was put on hold for the past 9 months while we tried to figure out the parenting role.  With a little more focus on our relationship, I think we can continue to evolve as a couple while still being the awesome parents W deserves.  I love you, hubby.
 
The rest of the weekend consisted of family walks, church, Starbucks, grocery shopping, cleaning, trying a new recipe, and lots of play time with W… perfection (well, maybe not the cleaning, but the rest was perfection).

No comments:

Post a Comment