Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Baby W's Birth Story - Part 2


Finally, 12/20/12 arrived.  I don’t think I slept at all the night before.  I took one final pregnant picture in front of the Christmas tree and kissed Addie goodbye.  I don’t think A and I talked much on the way to the hospital – I was so nervous, tired, anxious, all sorts of emotional.  We checked into the maternity ward as we had been instructed.  The woman at the front desk looked at us a little confused.  “Who is your doctor?  What time were you supposed to be here?”  Turns out someone had really messed up and DID NOT SCHEDULE the c section?!?  A and I were instructed to sit in the lobby while things were sorted out.  I was a mess.  I couldn’t imagine going through all this again.  I was already nervous, we had made all arrangements, we’d gotten up incredibly early, and I had mentally prepared myself as much as possible.  I needed to have baby W THIS morning.  After that hiccup, a nurse came out and told us things were ok and we should follow her to a room to prepare for surgery.  Crisis averted.

In the room, a couple monitors were placed on me.  I was surprised to find out I was having very regular contractions and took it as a sign that Baby W was ready to make his debut.  There was one final ultrasound to confirm that Baby W was still breech (he was).  I think I told everyone – nurses, doctors, anesthesiologist how nervous I was and they all assured me that both baby and I would be fine.  I was in good hands.

As I prepared for surgery I had to drink some nasty concoction to settle my stomach (it was gross).  A put on his scrubs.  An IV was inserted (I was told it would be the most painful part of the day).  Finally, I was told it was time to enter the OR.  A couldn’t be with me as the epidural was administered.  That was one of the scariest and most painful parts of the day.  The anesthesiologist kept telling me to stick my back out and push back while a nurse held my shoulders and he inserted the needle.  How does one stick their back out?!?  Soon enough, it was over.  The nurse holding me also happened to have the same name we planned on calling baby W – I took that as another good sign.  The curtain was raised, A joined me, I felt super awkward being naked on an operating table, and I couldn’t feel my legs… fun times.

The surgery began.  I kept telling the anesthesiologist that I felt nauseous and he would continually increase whatever medicine I was on to make me feel better.  That happened several times.  Eventually the anesthesiologist exclaimed “I can see his butt!”.  A and I heard baby W before we could see him.  He was screaming and I remember smiling and nervously laughing, hoping that meant he was ok.  A few seconds later, the OB brought him over.  A and I both cried.  I said, “He’s so cute.  He’s perfect.”  A tried to hug me, but he ended up rubbing my head and messing up my hair. ;)  Not his fault – I was basically tied to the operating table.  I asked how much he weighed and the doctor told me they didn’t know yet.  Baby W was checked out, measured, and wrapped in a blanket.  He weighed 8 lbs 9 oz and was 20.5 inches long.  He was brought over to me and I got to talk to him and love on him for a couple minutes.  He was, without a doubt, the most beautiful baby I’d ever seen.  A and baby W went to the recovery room while I was stitched up.  That only took a few minutes.  The anesthesiologist asked me if I wanted something to take the edge off.  I wasn’t really sure what that meant and I stupidly said sure.  Whatever it was made me really sleepy.  Soon enough, I was in the recovery room and got to hold and feed baby W right away.  The nurse repeatedly asked how I was doing and I repeatedly told her I was so tired.  I wish I hadn’t gotten that extra medication.  She told me to sleep, but there was absolutely no way I was going to miss out on baby W’s first minutes of life.  While in the recovery room, W’s foot prints were stamped and he got his first bath.  When I could move my legs, it was time to head to my hospital room.  I remember having to move from the operating bed to the hospital bed and that was extremely difficult right after surgery.  I also remember the nurse pushing really hard on my stomach (uterus?) and that was painful.

After we got into the hospital room, A went to find Grandma G and Grandma W who had been anxiously waiting to meet baby W.  Watching them meet him and hold him melted my heart. J  Meanwhile, I was instructed to eat ice chips while the anesthesia wore off.  All was going well…. Until nausea hit me full force.  I started vomiting and was given Zofran.  It helped and I started feeling better.  Eventually, Grandpa W and Uncle M stopped by to meet W.  I’m pretty sure I looked like death after the vomiting episode. J  It was also fun watching them meet baby W.  W is named after both of his grandpas. J That night, I was afraid to eat much because I didn’t want to vomit.  Sidenote: I hate puking.  Not that anyone likes it, but I will do everything in my power not to puke.  I had not gotten sick at all during pregnancy.  How ironic that I did minutes after Baby W was born.

The next few days and nights in the hospital were pretty calm.  I loved being with my boys and I had minimal pain.  Even the nurses seemed impressed that I was walking around the night of delivery and declining pain medication.  I credit my recovery to my awesome OB.  Baby W roomed with us except for a couple hours each night when A and I would catch up on much needed sleep.  W didn’t sleep well in his bassinet and preferred to be held.  That was fine by me, but I knew I needed some sleep.  The second night in the hospital, I was ravenous.  After hardly eating anything the day prior due to nausea, I suddenly couldn’t get enough.  I ate my entire dinner including sides, had additional snacks, and sent A out for a Chicago style hotdog. J  More friends stopped by to meet W and I loved that they were excited to meet him.  W became jaundiced and was losing a lot of weight (1 pound), but we were allowed to leave the hospital as scheduled on 12/23.  Just in time for Christmas.

My OB had instructed me to take it easy and not leave the house, which meant no Christmas celebrations.  But we had many visitors and had lots of fun Face Timing with family.

During the first couple weeks, we had to visit the pediatrician frequently for weight checks and blood draws.  Eventually W figured out nursing and his bilirubin levels stabilized.  In my opinion, there were way way too many blood draws.  I think they should have stopped after the bilirubin levels began to decrease and W’s color was returning to normal.  One of my biggest regrets is not putting a stop to the numerous blood draws. 

My recovery was easy for the most part.  Getting out of bed in the night was the most difficult – I missed the hospital bed rails.  But even that wasn’t terrible.  Looking back, c section recovery wasn’t bad at all.  I think I had an easier time than friends who gave birth naturally.  If I had to have another c section, I’d be completely fine with that.  Dare I say, I might even prefer it!
 
W’s birth was perfect and I wouldn’t change a thing.  One of the best days of my life.  J






 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment