Tuesday, November 26, 2013

This and that

I'm not sure why, but I haven't felt like posting.  For once, we had a very low key weekend.  We went out to lunch, ran errands, went to church, and watched football.  I also ordered our Christmas cards!  It was a great, relaxed weekend.  So maybe I just feel like I don't have much to report.

And I don't really anticipate posting much in the near future.  If you need me, I'll be stuffing my face, shopping, and enjoying family time.

Happy Thanksgiving!

And because I feel like I've hardly said anything, I'll leave a post I wrote awhile ago, but never published...  Sometimes I feel like I should be giving W more when in fact, he has all he needs. :)

Dear W,

 I’m sorry that your dad isn’t a lawyer or a doctor.  I’m sorry that your mom isn’t a business executive or a fabulous designer.  I’m sorry that you’ll never have the biggest house on the block or attend that nationally ranked school.  I’m sorry you won’t have that luxury car as a teenager, designer clothes, or the latest cell phone.  I’m sorry that you won’t visit exotic locations while on family vacations.  I’m sorry that you’ll miss out on extravagant electronics, the fanciest restaurants, and the best seats at every sporting event.  But the thing is… I’m NOT really sorry.  You see, your mom grew up in a small house without lots of extras and attended a school that’s probably ranked at the very bottom of every list.  Your mom learned to appreciate the little things and work hard.  She learned that it’s so important to give back.  She learned how to be gracious and humble.  She learned that relationships and quality time are more important than things and stuff.  She learned that success and wealth are two very different concepts.  And so will you.  And most importantly, despite your mom and dad having a small house, conventional cars, and an “ordinary” life, they’re really, really happy.  And you will be too.

Love,
mom


No comments:

Post a Comment