Thursday, September 3, 2015

Preschool Woes and a Tough Week for Mom

It’s been a difficult week in these parts.  Not difficult in the worldly sense because I know I’ve got it pretty good and things could always be much worse.  But difficult in the realm of motherhood.

For one, W is having a really tough time at preschool.  I didn’t expect it to be easy for him, but I also didn’t expect tears the entire time. :(  Especially because preschool seemed to start off well.  I’ve talked to friends who have taught preschool and also fellow moms.  From what I’ve gathered, W’s reaction is normal and this process will take time.  But it breaks my heart to leave him in tears only to return and find him still in tears.  I’ve tried preparing him, talking to him ahead of time, talking about activities, distracting him while we’re there, staying with him at the beginning of class.  And things only seem to be getting worse.  I know it’s early.  It will take time to adjust.  But at what point do I throw in the towel and try again when he’s a little older?  Because honestly, right now, this isn’t working for anyone.  He’s miserable and not interacting with other kids, which was the whole point of school.  I’m miserable, feeling guilty for leaving him and missing valuable work time.  Hopefully, we can make this work…  Ironic that this preschool/working from home endeavor seemed ideal… not so much.

Yesterday, I was running late (which has been the case since A returned to school – still trying to find my groove) and when I was finally ready to leave the house, I couldn’t find my keys.  I looked throughout the kitchen and emptied out my work bag.  Then I remembered that I left the keys in the basement.  Found them and headed out the door.  About 30 minutes into my drive, I realized my laptop wasn’t in my bag.  I had left it on the counter when I emptied out my bag while searching for keys.  So I turned around and headed back home to retrieve my computer.  Grabbed it and headed out the door again.  I wasn’t planning on stopping for gas on my way to work, but now I needed to.  So I finally arrived to work 1 hour and 45 minutes after leaving the house.  Awesome.

And finally, have you heard about the police officer that was shot and killed while on duty in IL?  The killers are still at large.  This happened about 30 minutes from my house.  Devastating and senseless.  Police helicopters were flying over my house on Tuesday morning.  Since hearing this, I’ve been on edge.  I just can’t fathom why these crimes happen or how people can be so evil.  And the fact that there are murderers on the loose is really frightening. :(

So not my favorite week.


No comments:

Post a Comment