Monday, August 1, 2016

Weekend Recap

You know when you dread coming into work that you’ve had an especially great weekend.  Or maybe that’s just me.  We had tons of fun with the boys this weekend!

Friday began with W’s favorite – garbage day!!  He asked me if he could give the garbage man a Gatorade and snack, something he’s been doing the past couple weeks.  Of course I said sure and as the garbage truck approached, he trotted out to hand over the Gatorade and a little bag of chips.  A told the man that he was the highlight of the boys’ week. J

After that, we decided to head to our local amusement park.  We actually have season’s passes and have been to the water park a couple times, but had yet to go on any rides.  The weather was perfect for the outing – a bit cooler than it’s been (thank you!!) and overcast.  The boys enjoyed the kiddie rides and we had lunch at the park.  The only pitiful moment was when we put S on a ride next to W.  He was fine just sitting there, but as soon as the ride started moving, S burst into tears.  A and I waved frantically to S, trying to show him that we were still there and he was ok, but he kept crying.  And then W, completely oblivious, saw us waving and started laughing and waving.  So we had one in tears and one having the time of his life.  Typical. J  Anyway, it started to sprinkle and we decided to head out.

From there, it was off to Nani and Papa’s house where W was having a sleep over.  We ordered pizza and the boys had fun playing.  After pizza, A and I headed home with S while W stayed at Nani’s.  I think both boys enjoyed a little break from one another.  W got one on one time with Nani and Papa and S got his parents to himself – a very rare occurrence.  It was so nice to have a little break, not that W is difficult.  But it was a lot easier to put just one kiddo to bed.  We finished the night by watching True Detective.  Yes, A and I are two years late, but that’s how we operate.  It’s gotten so intense!  Only 2 episodes to go.

Saturday started with a haircut for me and swim class for W.  After that, A’s teaching assistant, Jane, came over to watch the boys.  It was the first time a non-family member has watched them and I was super nervous for everyone. J  A little back story – A and I have a wedding to attend in October and our parents are busy so no one to watch the boys.  Jane volunteered.  Actually, she’s been volunteering to watch the boys for a while.  She has two grown boys and has always been incredibly sweet to W and S.  We took her up on her offer, but decided to do a “trial run”.  W can be very clingy so I was worried he’d protest us leaving without him.  S has also developed separation anxiety in the past couple months.  He’ll cry if A and I are out of sight and he’ll bury his face in my shoulder if a stranger tries to talk to him.  And then there’s Addie.  She can be a bit protective of all of us – especially around new people.  I told the boys there’d be a surprise in honor of Jane coming to visit and I think that helped.  But W took to her right away, showing her toys and telling her about garbage day.  Even Addie was well behaved.  The boys opened their surprise – new play food for the kitchen set and A and I left without a hitch.  I couldn’t believe it.

A and I decided to visit a nearby restaurant that we hadn’t been to in almost a year.  I had forgotten how amazing their food is.  I had the butternut squash soup and it was probably the best soup I’ve ever had… and I’ve had a lot of soup.  Ha.  I think I told the waiter 3 times how good it was and I’m pretty sure he thought I was crazy.  A and I ordered 2 desserts because why not?  After beignets with several toppings and the chocolate trio with white chocolate mousse, caramel brownie, and ice cream, I was in dessert heaven and absolutely stuffed.  It was so so yummy.  We came home and Jane said the boys were great.  An awesome day on all accounts!

Sunday was church, Starbucks, grocery shopping.  At the grocery store a lady came over and asked if anyone had ever told me that W looked like a little Prince Harry.  Actually, yes, I have heard that before, but it made me laugh.  We considered going to the amusement park again, but W requested to go to his favorite neighborhood park and so that’s what we did.  This park happens to be about 15 driving minutes from our house, but it’s very toddler friendly.  Funny enough, A often runs into one of his students there and yesterday was no exception.  Haha!!


I enjoy making a big meal on Sunday so that we can have leftovers during the week.  W requested chicken noodle soup.  So I made chicken noodle soup for W, broccoli cheddar soup, and penne with meat and vodka sauce.  Those should last awhile. J

In other news, we’ve been working on potty training.  We’ve had lots of successes, but W still tells me he wants to wear a diaper and he’s come up with really great excuses as to why he can’t go on the potty.  Yesterday was “S was sleeping and I didn’t want to flush and wake him up.”  Sigh…  On a positive note, he can’t poop in public so he always tells me when he has to go, I’ll take him to the restroom, and he’ll go.  I’ve never heard of any kid doing this and I’m pretty sure it’s the exact opposite of most people.  I guess we just have to stay out of the house in order to potty train him.

It was truly a great weekend!  Only 2 weeks left before A returns to school. I can’t believe how fast the summer has flown by.  I say that every year, but as I get older, time flies by faster and faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment