Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Weekend Recap

It was one of those good for the soul weekends that you hope never ends.  Mother nature even got on board and though there was a chance of rain every day, it remained warm and sunny.

Friday I was told to leave work early.  I definitely won’t argue with that.  I took advantage of the time and headed to the mall to return a couple dresses and a pair of shoes.  While there, I was able to take my time trying on clothes – something I haven’t done in months?, a year?, who knows?  I definitely enjoyed it, though 5 dresses and a pair of shoes later, I had found NOTHING that I liked.  My wallet was very happy with me.  I finally ventured over to my favorite store (Loft) and tried on several styles of jeans.  They happened to have an awesome sale going.  Again, it was so nice to have the time to determine what style I liked best and I was surprised by the one I chose.  I found a pair of white jeans for $24 and a dress for $16.  Yay!!  And these items together were cheaper than any one of the items I returned.  A double bonus.  After the mall, I headed home and met up with the boys.  From there, we headed off to our favorite pizza restaurant and had dinner with Nani and Papa.  It was a really great start to the weekend.

Saturday, W had soccer.  He was mad that I wouldn’t let him walk on the trail (in the opposite direction) so he refused to participate in the first few minutes of class.  Finally, he came around and joined in on the scoring drills.  W’s version of scoring a goal:  Dribble the ball to the goal, pick it up and move it away from the goalie, then kick it in the goal.  I couldn’t stop laughing.  After soccer, we headed back to our house where my friend, Katie, was waiting.  My mom came over to watch the boys and Katie, A, and I headed to the Cubs game.  Katie was given tickets and a parking pass through work so we didn’t have to pay for anything, which was awesome.  The drive to the stadium was easy (a rarity) and the seats were great.  I had my first beer in over a year.  The weather was perfect.  The crowd was electric - you could feel the excitement surrounding this year's team.  The Cubs won.  We had an absolute blast and it was nice to have some much needed adult time.  Once we got home, we played outside and then decided to take the boys on their very first ice cream outing.  W has never been a fan of sweets.  I think he liked the idea of an ice cream cone, but was underwhelmed with the vanilla flavor.  S, on the other hand, was definitely a fan and ended up wearing most of his ice cream.  It was such a great day.






Sunday, was church, Starbucks, and grocery shopping.  Later in the afternoon, we headed over to Nani and Papa’s for a cookout.  The food was yummy as always.  W tried corn on the cob for the first time.  Any new food he tries is worth celebrating!  And the boys had tons of fun running around with their cousins.  We even went to the park after dinner.  You’d think they’d both sleep well after spending lots of time running around.  And you’d be wrong.  For some odd reason, S woke up twice and W woke up once.  Boo.  But other than that, it was a truly great day.






Monday was Memorial Day.  I tried to explain the meaning of the day to W and told him I was thinking about my grandpas, but I think he’s still a bit young.  He did repeat several times “Memorial Day” so at least he knew the name of the holiday.  We decided to invite Grandma over for an impromptu cookout and I ended up making homemade guacamole, fruit salad, and a tomato cucumber salad.  If you’re not impressed, you should be.  It’s rare that I actually have ingredients in the house to make things I didn’t specifically plan for.  Sad but true.  We sat outside, ate more chips and salsa than anyone ever should, and the boys played with their water table.  All in all, lots of fun and an absolutely perfect weekend in the books.  Ready for summer!




No comments:

Post a Comment