Friday, August 8, 2014

Preparing for IVF #3 - March


3/3/2014 – Talked to IVF nurse.  Originally I was excited about IVF because it meant the possibility of another baby.  But talking to the IVF nurse was a major reality check.  She started talking about all the procedures to be done prior to beginning IVF including a saline sonogram.  For me it’s a relatively uncomfortable procedure and it didn’t occur to me that I’d have to have one with this IVF round.  Now I’m just nervous/upset/emotional.  I think I temporarily blocked out all of the negative parts of IVF and now they’re hitting me hard… injections, monitoring, blood draws, ugh.   Anyway, right now we’re shooting for injections to begin around May 10 and a May 18 retrieval date.  Eek!

3/11/2014 - Talked to IVF nurse again.  I'm going in for blood work tomorrow.  Silly me forgot I had a meeting scheduled for the same time.  Crap.  Oh how I seem to have forgotten all of the planning involved.  IVF round 3 is starting to seem more real!

3/12/2014 - Went in for blood draw.  7 vials were collected. 7!!  Holy moly.  But I have to say, the nurse was awesome.  It didn't hurt at all.  That's a rarity for me.  Initial results all came back normal.  Yay!

3/19/2014 - Additional testing shows my vitamin D is low and I'm not immune to rubella?  Umm... ok?  It's been ages since I've received the MMR vaccine, but if I'm not immune to rubella then how am I immune to measles and mumps?  Anyway, I have to get the vaccine and a vitamin D supplement.  In a way I'm glad our new clinic is so on top of things.  Some studies suggest that low vitamin D is linked to infertility and contracting rubella during pregnancy can result in birth defects or miscarriage.  But on the other hand, now I have to get myself to a Walgreens Take Care Clinic and get vaccinated... boo.  Yes, I suck for not having a primary care doctor.  If I had one, I'd go there.  Long story short, because I worked in the lab for several years, I had to get an annual physical, which was done at my place of work.  Good enough.  I didn't really need a doctor except for those few times I got sick and needed an antibiotic.  I even had an EKG, chest x-ray, all kinds of crazy tests during my exam for work... thank you potent active pharmaceutical ingredients for requiring extremely thorough exams.  So now that I'm out of the lab (thank God), no more yearly exams.

3/27/2014 - I started taking the vitamin D supplement over the weekend and got my MMR vaccine yesterday.  I went to the Take Care Clinic for the vaccine.  I tend to have a very negative view of these types of places and started judging as soon as I arrived.  I even texted A and told him I thought it was going to take forever, that I didn't want to be there, that I really should find a primary care doctor, blah blah blah.  But the nurse practitioner could not have been nicer.  She even wished me luck with IVF.  So I left feeling pretty sheepish and also a tad excited/hopeful.  The ups and downs of IVF have already begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment