Thursday, October 23, 2014

Growing Baby Belly

I’ve been a little sensitive lately about growing larger and the weight I’ve gained.  I know I shouldn’t care… and I didn’t… until the comments started rolling in.  A few things to mention...  1.  It’s common knowledge that women show earlier in subsequent pregnancies after the first pregnancy.  Things have already been stretched and once that happens, it’s easier to stretch again.  Like a rubber band or a new pair of jeans, for instance.  Yes, I’m comparing my body to a rubber band. Whatever.  2.  All women are different – they carry babies differently, some show pregnancy early, some late, some have large baby bumps, some do not.  3.  I tend to carry all baby weight in my basketball shaped belly.  That means that my pregnant belly gets huge and the rest of me (aside from any late pregnancy swelling) remains pretty much the same.  This worked to my advantage after my first pregnancy because I was able to lose weight pretty quickly after baby was out.  Hoping for the same results.  4.  Pregnant or not, it’s really not ok to tell a woman she’s big.  Seriously.  And other women should know better.  5.  Getting pregnant was hard enough.  I should be exempt from stupid remarks for having survived IVF.

I’m only 6 months pregnant and the comments are already starting to get to me.  This does not bode well for the next 3 months.  I’m just tired of it.  How does one respond to “Wow!  You’re really big!”?  Thank you seems inappropriate.  F you also seems inappropriate… especially at work!  Ha!  Just kidding.  Sort of.  And I also hear the whispers… “Don’t say that, she’s sensitive, blah, blah, blah.”  I don’t appreciate comments that imply I’m enormous, but I also don’t need people tiptoeing around me and my feelings… uggh.

My boss actually came to me today and apologized (after I told him I was going to beat him up) saying he would never intentionally hurt my feelings.  He really is the best boss and his comment that I was getting bigger was nothing compared to some of the comments I’ve heard… all in the past week.  Did I really get that big over the weekend?!?!  Not sure.  All I know is people need the shut the heck up if they can’t say something nice.


No comments:

Post a Comment