Thursday, August 15, 2013

Beginning the IVF Journey


I think it was early in 2011 when A and I talked about expanding our family.  I’m the type of person who wants everything in place and the timing to be perfect.  A is much more laid back.  At that time we were both very unsatisfied with our current jobs.  I hated the work I was doing, but the job paid decently.  A didn’t mind the work he was doing, but his job paid next to nothing.  He was very overqualified for the position he was in.  I couldn’t imagine bringing a baby into the world while feeling so miserable at work, but it also felt like I was going to be stuck in that job forever.   We arbitrarily picked January 2012 as our IVF date.  There were numerous tests to be performed and doctors to meet with before we could begin, but that was our goal.  And I was excited that our future baby would arrive right around our anniversary if everything worked out.

It was as if God was listening to our plans.  Towards the end of February 2011, I landed a job interview and by April 2011, I was FINALLY doing work that I enjoyed!  I no longer dreaded going to work every day.  I no longer came home and cried because I was so darn frustrated.  I had been searching for a new job for almost 2 years so this was momentous.  It was as if a huge weight was lifted.

That spring, I had a blood test to determine if I was a carrier for CF.  If I was a carrier, there was a 50% chance our child would have CF.  During the blood test, A held my hand.  I wasn’t fond of needles (I laugh at this now – 50 shots in the stomach and several blood draws cure you of your fear pretty quickly).  The geneticist and nurses seemed to really like us.  They chatted with us for awhile, smiled as A held my hand, and were impressed by A’s health.  A short time later, we found out that I was NOT a carrier.  One hurdle conquered.

After that, A provided a ahem “sample”.  The test results from that sample confirmed a TESE would need to be performed to obtain swimmers and that IVF was our only option for conceiving.  I was a little disappointed, but the results were what we expected.

During the summer of 2011, we met with our RE.  He was VERY optimistic and told us I could be pregnant by September.  Whoa!  I wasn’t ready to begin IVF yet, but his enthusiasm was reassuring.  I asked if he had had other patients with CF and he said yes.  Overall, I really liked him and he was on board for our first IVF in January 2012.

That summer, I had the chance to travel for work.  I visited New York often.  It was an amazing opportunity and I felt like things were really looking up.  I had been so unhappy in my previous job and now things were coming together.  I thought this was another sign that we were ready to start a family.  I had always wanted to visit NYC and I finally had the chance.  Another thing checked off my bucket list.

That fall, A had an ultrasound and TESE performed.  The urologist was able to obtain 5 vials of swimmers.  Good news!  A waking up from the procedure was one of the funniest things I’ve ever experienced.  I’ll spare the details, but just know that that husband of mine can be quite entertaining.  I so wish I would have recorded him.

In November of 2011, A landed a teaching job.  He had been waiting over 3 years for this job!! I was so incredibly happy and excited for him, I cried when I found out.  This was such a huge accomplishment and it seemed like yet another sign that things were falling into place.  To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment