Thursday, August 15, 2013

Office Politics

I didn’t plan on two posts in one day, but I had to pop on.
 
I’ve mentioned that I work for a pharmaceutical company.  Well, today we were required to attend a meeting with one of our state’s congressmen.  There were some grumblings around the office about boring political presentations and having more important things to do, but I was secretly looking forward to it.  I know next to nothing about politics, but I do enjoy hearing other’s viewpoints, learning about the bills up for debate, the work being accomplished <insert political satire here>.  Anyway, the CEO began his introduction of the congressman.  He talked a bit about our company, how we started off with one person and have grown significantly.  He talked about how small companies were accomplishing big things.  Then he mentioned Vertex Pharmaceuticals!!!!  VERTEX!!  He discussed how they were making huge advancements in the treatment of Cystic Fibrosis!!  One small company achieving life changing discoveries!  I actually teared up.  No one at my office knows A has CF.  We’re very private and I leave it up to A to decide who knows he has CF… that’s a completely different post.  The point is, the word is spreading… this is a disease that needs a CURE.  With more research, there WILL be a cure.  I assumed no one at my company had ever heard of Vertex, and now they all have.  I’m so proud of the company I work for and the industry I work in.  At the end of the day, despite all the politics, we [in the pharma industry] just want to help people, to make them feel better, to improve their lives. <3 <3

No comments:

Post a Comment