Thursday, August 8, 2013

Roller Coaster... Continued


So I kept in touch with A through email and instant messenger (remember that thing?!?  I guess that shows my age!)  I decided to return home one weekend in order to work (a girl needs her beer money), but I also hoped to see A.  We decided we’d go out and grab dinner… just the two of us.  A sorta date without labeling it as such.  Well, I ended up getting sick and being on antibiotics.  I was not feeling well at all, but I didn’t want to miss out on the date with A.  I met him at TGI Fridays (classy, no?) and neither one of us had much to say.  After some awkward conversation, A mentioned that he wanted to head out to watch a Cubs game.  As in he wanted to head out by himself… I wasn’t invited.  He didn’t say that, but I was pretty sure that’s what he meant.  The date was an epic failure.  Strike 1.  Maybe we were just meant to be friends?

A and I kept in touch after that weekend, but we didn’t talk as much as we used to.  At one point, he mentioned he had something for me.  I got butterflies!!  What could it be?  Flowers?  Chocolates?  A letter declaring his love for me?!?  Would it make up for our horrible first date?  I kept asking him to mail it to me since I wasn’t planning on coming home soon.  FINALLY, he said he’d mail it.  The “package” arrived and it was… wait for it… a newspaper photo of my favorite baseball player.  Strike 2.

I don’t think I talked to A much after that… haha.  But I don’t give up easily.  I graduated from college (woohoo) and moved back home.  During that time, I learned that one of my theme park coworkers was moving to Texas.  I didn’t know her very well and didn’t really care, but a few friends mentioned that they were going to stop by the theme park to wish her well.  They asked if I’d like to come along.  I thought A might be there, so I decided to go and look extra cute – you know, to show A what he was missing out on.  A was in fact there and I played it cool, only mumbling a polite hello to him.  Well, my plan worked because I received a text message from A a short time later asking if I wanted to grab lunch.  This time, we had a great date.  There was no awkwardness whatsoever.  We talked and talked.  Good thing because had he gotten a strike 3, he would’ve been out. ;)  Soon after we were officially dating and two years later, A proposed.  9+ years after becoming a couple, we’re still going strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment